08 Cobalt LT Issues Starting

jasmith

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm wide awake in the middle of the night so I figured I'd try to find some people to ask about my car. I recently purchased a 2008 Cobalt LT with 55k miles on it. After I purchased it I noticed that the fuel gauge wasn't working properly so I asked the dealership I bought it from about it and they said to bring it by and they would fix it. It turned out the sensor in the tank wasn't working so the mechanic replaced it. That fixed the fuel gauge but ever since I got the car back it has had problems starting. At first I just had to turn the key over and hold it an extra second or two, but the problem has been getting progressively worse in the 4 days since I got it back. Now the car will not start on the first turn of the key no matter how long I hold it, but the second time I turn the key it starts right up without issue like it did the first time I turned it before he worked on the sensor in the gas tank. I'm not very knowledgeable on cars past changing the oil, but since it started right after the gas tank was worked on I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with it. Does that sound right to you? I don't want to go to them again right after they fixed the fuel gauge for free and ask about it if by chance they didn't cause the problem, but its a very odd coincidence that this problem started right after it was worked on. The first time I had this issue was actually starting it in their parking lot to leave with it so it literally started right after being worked on. I guess more than anything I'm asking if I'm justified in calling them and asking them to take a look at it. I don't want to insinuate they caused it if they didn't but I really don't see anything else that would have caused it barring a huge coincidence. Thanks for your answers.

bluebaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it probably is indeed related, sorry. i bet it's either the fuel pump or a hose sucking air...

just curious, has the car had the recall service done on the fuel system?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like they didn't get one of your fuel fittings tight and it's draining fuel back to the tank. Take it back to them and tell them what's happening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup