08 cobalt proper operating temp

mrcoffee

Reaction score
just wondering what is the proper operating temp cause mine usually runs at 192 to 194 unless in traffic etc etc could go up to 216 sometimes but isnt that like boiling???? and when should fan kick on at what temp.
and help appreciated

Fluffy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its normal and fine. water boils at atmospheric pressure at 212, iunno what the cooling system is pressured to but typically its about 18psi so boiling point is now over 220.

water-pressure-boiling-temperature-2.png

o and i dont remember the specs for when the cooling fan comes on for the cobalt but for the cavalier it comes on at 218 and shuts off when the temp is at 195. with the a/c on the fan is always on below 70 mph

Last edited:

Spacey_stacey75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny I was wondering the same thing, mine keeps pushing up to 221, 222, been up to 226, and I was worried I have something going on. Still not convinced I don't.

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya that shit seam high . i get to 215 and i start to worrie lol but i am in cooler temp

Spacey_stacey75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought so too, not sure whats causing it. I was wondering if maybe my cat got messed up when I had the nitrous explosion. Thinking it might be causing lack of flow out of the engine, but the temp goes down as soon as i start driving, it does it when I'm at an idol.

Spacey_stacey75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so My temp still fluctuates alot!! I was driving around fine since my small explosion, except for this. Last night my damn engine light came back on. THank God my friend just bought one of those high priced diagnostic computers and he hooked it up. It said my cat is bad!! That nitreous explosion musta shattered my cat insides. Guess I'm getting that high flow cat after all!!! YAY!!! Think I'm gonna go with the magnaflow one. Its only $75 and my man can get a dealer discount.
LOL! I'll have a magnaflow cat and a Flowmaster muffler!;)

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The fan(s) don't come on until 221-225*F. Due to the mixture and the pressure you should be fine up past 300*F. 50/50mix alone is good to 275*F without being pressurized. But in all honesty if I saw my car hit 250*F I'd start to panic a bit.

Best thing you can do if you think your car is starting to overheat is to turn on the A/C, any time it is on in our vehicles the radiator fan(s) turns on.

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had a truck would overheat sometimes when i had my plow on going down the road i would just blast my heat and roll the windows down and it helped ( a/c didnt work in it lol )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup