2.2 EcoTec no start troubles

06Pursuit

Reaction score
Hey all,

First off, I apologize if this thread is long-winded or if this topic has been covered before - I am new to the EcoTec engine (and GM's in general), and I think I've researched this topic enough to say that it seems to be a pretty "unique" issue :p this thread is for my girlfriend's car, and I consider myself to be decently good at troubleshooting and fixing things.

My girlfriend's car is an '06 Pontiac Pursuit 2.2L 5 speed manual (basically same as a Cobalt, right?). It does not have A/C.

About a month ago she hit a bump with it pretty hard and it hasn't run right (or more recently, at all) since then. Right after she hit the bump, I could get it started and driving but it ran rough. It was fine when not under load, but whenever a hill came along or you gave it some extra gas it would shake and miss like crazy. Couldn't see any smoke out the back, but it stunk like gas when idling (which it would barely do). This issue eventually got worse and worse until it barely made it to the mechanics shop.

Before going to the shop, I replaced the spark plugs because they were due and the old ones were soaked in fuel. I also replaced the ICM, which made it a bit better but not much. The shop then replaced the coil pack, as they diagnosed it to that. It still ran like crap and would barely idle.. Which brings us to now. Can't even get the thing to start.

The fuel pump cycles and fuel pressure to the injectors is good. We cleaned the injectors, MAF, air filter, etc. We checked voltage to the ICM and it is good. I tried a different ECM from a wrecker (from a 2.2 auto) and the engine wouldn't even turn over.

My dad and I are next going to check the Crank Position Sensor. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go from here? Any input is much appreciated! :)

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any codes?

I was going to suggest the MAF but you already did that. To properly install a different ECU you need a Tech2 to do a crank learn and pair, dealership can do this.

06Pursuit

Reaction score
Any codes?

I was going to suggest the MAF but you already did that. To properly install a different ECU you need a Tech2 to do a crank learn and pair, dealership can do this.

Shoot, that is what I forgot to mention haha sorry.. Yes there were codes. I can't remember the exact code numbers, but one was "Misfire on Cylinder 1" and the other was "Crank Position Sensor".

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Oh, and also "Knock Sensor".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
case310

Latest posts