2008 Cobalt - Chronic Oil Leak BEHIND BUT NOT FROM OIL FILTER HOUSING

Dauntless

Reaction score
Hi. First I will acknowledge that it seems very easy to have an oil leak from not properly placing the gasket on the oil filter cap, from a hairline crack in the plastic top, etc. But this leak is NOT coming from the cap, not from the gasket area, etc. It is behind the aluminum oil filter housing as far as I can tell and oil is in the space where the filter housing attaches to the engine block. If I run a dry paper towel horizontally around the oil filter housing, there is NO oil on the paper towel. The leak is NOT from the housing/cap assembly. There is also oil on the metal "shelf" just to the right (when standing, facing towards firewall) on the metal shelf that comes off the transmission and has a stamping on it. The oil also collects there.

I have replaced the oil cap, played with the placement of the cap gasket endlessly and I still have oil behind and below the alum housing. It has nothing to do with the oil pressure screw-in as that is nowhere near where the oil leak is. The oil pressure screw-in is way to the left of the oil filter housing and the oil is not coming from there.

I have heard of the possibility of a crack in the engine block leaking oil but do not see the crack. Is there any way to remove the oil housing? I believe it is cast as one piece with the aluminum engine block. Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you, Reuben

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso