2008 Cobalt overheating

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't believe there is one. There is a heater blend door actuator that should be right near the heater core.

csheridan

Reaction score
Ok, I made up a method to try and see if coolant is flowing through the radiator. I removed the lower hose at the thermostat, and removed the upper hose at the head. I put a trash bag over the opening at the lower hose, and blew through the upper hose. Coolant came right out.
Theoretically, would that mean the radiator is getting flow?
I want to try the same thing now, but with the water pump. If nothing comes out, then surely that means the water pump is not pumping, correct?
Before the trash bag/blow method, I started it up and nothing was coming out on its own.
If my crazy, backyard method is correct, I think I'm narrowing it down to the water pump without removing the exhaust manifold and checking the impeller.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to remove the exhaust manifold to remove the water pump. The coolant pipe should clear the exhaust manifold enough for you to be able to pull it all out the bottom.

csheridan

Reaction score
I went ahead and removed the exhaust manifold (all the nuts were freed up since I replaced the head gasket) since I had the time and wanted plenty of room.
I pulled the water pump, but strangely didn't see anything out of the ordinary, however, when I inspected the impeller by turning it, a snail shell fell out. A SNAIL SHELL. Hahahaha.

But anyway, I got it all back together, burped the system, took it for a test drive, it never got over 200 degrees, and I had hot air coming out of the vents. :)

I'm so glad to have my Cobalt back. Thank you SO MUCH YelloEye for the diagram and pointers. Even though I can't say if I just had air in the system, or if I'm missing something with the water pump, but I don't care because it's fixed and I saved myself a LOT of money doing it myself.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed you did. Glad you got to the bottom of it. That snail shell may have been preventing proper water flow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup