2009 LS Coupe parking brake

9944pure

Reaction score
Hi,

The parking brake no longer works on my 2009 Cobalt LS. Unfortunately I don't know much about car repair, especially under-body work, so my question is: what exactly do I need to get it working again? I don't know what's wrong with it, only that it doesn't work. If the parking brake lever is lifted as if to park, there's no tension whatsoever, so I have to park the car in first gear (it's a manual transmission).

I'd be very appreciative of advice on what parts I need, whether or not a non-mechanic such as myself would be able to install a new parking brake or repair the existing brake, or if I need to take it to a shop and have it put on a lift. Not really comfortable using the teeny factory jack to hold up one side of the car while I wiggle around underneath.

I'm not entirely sure how the parking brake assembly works, hence my dilemma. I've looked for parking brake parts and kits but I'm not sure what I need, exactly. Any advice or explicit instruction on what to buy and how to proceed would be great. Thanks in advance!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When did it start doing this?

You can pull up the rear cup holders and should see the e-brake splitter right there, make sure it's secure and both cables are connected.
DSC01033.jpg

9944pure

Reaction score
It started doing this about a year ago.

I just checked under the cup holders and saw more or less exactly what's shown in your picture:

IMAG0018.jpg

I pulled each cable to determine any looseness or slack and found none.

Also, thank for the response - it's a start!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm... Next up I'd pull the rear brakes and see how much pad you have left.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso