2010 Cobalt LT Oil Change Frequency?

smorin1487

Reaction score
Hey all,

First off awesome to know there are forums for fellow Chevy Cobalt owners. Great car.

I was just wondering how often I should really be changing my oil. Some say just do it every 3000 miles for great engine performance to baby it, which I want to do. I hear other people say that is ridiculously too often.

I get on average 35 mpg, highway and city combined, as I do very little stop and go city driving. I'm mainly on the highway or back-road where I can set the Cruise and just go. I'm probably set on cruise control 90% of the time or more that I'm in the car, so that should give you an idea of how I drive it.

Thanks guys!

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

I wanted to add that I checked the manual (which one should do right?)

It just says you should be changing the oil within 600 miles of getting the "change oil soon" light. I guess that would be the answer, I'm just skeptical since I have some friends and family I trust that say that is waiting too long and if you're running your oil on anything less than 60% oil life, you're actually damaging the engine.

LotusRenaultF1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the oil you use. Mineral oil 3,000 miles is a bit too often; maybe you can get away with 4,000 or 5,000 but the factory says 3,000 so I always do 3,000 anyway. If you run Synthetic then you can go I think 7,000 miles between oil changes (I may be off a bit, I don't run Syntheitic so I'm not 100% sure). I wouldn't wait for the light to come on of for the computer to have a 50% oil life readout or something.

Changing the oil too soon is always better than changing it too late.

DJ-rb

Reaction score
I realize how old this post is... but.. I was just going to say that I run 15,000 - 25,000 Drain intervals. Been doing this since 35,000 Miles, car runs like it still has 35,000 miles.

I am using 100% Synthetic and a Filter that gets particles smaller than 10 microns...

PM me if you are curious to know more

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15k.... i don't care how good your oil is. stop being lazy and cheap and take care of your engine. just because it runs fine, doesn't mean it's doing well...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso