6x9 mounting options

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I remove the factory 6x9s is it possible to mount the New ones from under the deck? I may swap out the new 6x9s down the road and I hat to have to tear my back interior out every time so if I can mount them under the deck from the trunk it would be so much easier.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did them the way you're describing on my Lt. They worked, I would have preferred to mount them from the top but the basket wouldn't fit. IMO, do them as stock if you can.

Just so we're clear, you aren't talking about mounting them upside down. Just mounting them under the rear metal deck facing up.

Last edited:

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i mounted mine in the stock location. just bent the metal so the basket would fit, and used the stock bolts and everything. you could cut the excess out, but i just bent it under so it wasnt going to interfere with excursion. if you have to change them more than twice then you are not buying a quality speaker, using way too many watts, or have your bass maxed out and it sounds like crap anyway.

yelloeye, is there even enough room between the top of your 6x9 and the bottom of the deck for full excursion? i would think a spacer would be needed so the surround and woofer wouldn't hit the rear deck when the bass was "hitting". it was like that on my cavalier and i had to make a half inch spacer, but i wasn't going to mess around with that this time.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was running pioneer 3 ways, they didn't have that much excursion. Once I installed the subs I clipped the low end out of my door and deck speakers do it wasn't really a concern.

Thanks for spelling my SN right ;)

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i mounted mine in the stock location. just bent the metal so the basket would fit, and used the stock bolts and everything. you could cut the excess out, but i just bent it under so it wasnt going to interfere with excursion. if you have to change them more than twice then you are not buying a quality speaker, using way too many watts, or have your bass maxed out and it sounds like crap anyway.

yelloeye, is there even enough room between the top of your 6x9 and the bottom of the deck for full excursion? i would think a spacer would be needed so the surround and woofer wouldn't hit the rear deck when the bass was "hitting". it was like that on my cavalier and i had to make a half inch spacer, but i wasn't going to mess around with that this time.

I'm getting a pair of Polk 6x9s but might swap out for some kickers later on or do a conversion ring and put some wicked 6 1/2 components in lol who knows.

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am not a fan of kicker full ranges. not smooth highs imo. i went from kickers to walmart pioneer 3 ways i hated them so much. lol. and if your gonna do a component set in the back, why not just go balls deep and slap them right in the side for proper imaging? lol

np yello. i did double check that. i hate when i get the h in jonny myself. lmao

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You may as well stick with the 6x9 in the back, there's a reason they use them. They're really dynamic and depending on the speaker can have really nice SQ.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100_0748.jpg

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that a custom plate for the side panel in the back of a coupe?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup