Bad strut or strut mount

gatorchin

Reaction score
Ok guys..first off let me start off by saying I am a jeep guy...2000 Laredo 4.7, lifted, and a bunch of blood sweat and tears went into my wj.

So we recently bought my wife a 2005 cobalt...I guess it's just a base model...no power windows, no power locks...it has the 2.2 in it, and has the spoiler...we got a good deal on it ( if I can post pics I'll show you why) I know some forum you have to have a certain # of posts before being allowed to post pics.

Ok..so took the cobalt in to a trusted mechanic and told him I thought I had a bad passenger side strut..he push down on the car several times, and told me I had a bad strut mount...does that sound right? Like I said I'm a jeep guy and don't know much about struts and things like that, only springs and such.

Needing advice as this is my wife's ride and want to make it safe for her, while at the same time not causing any other problems by not getting the correct part fixed.

I also ordered a new catalytic converter that has yet to be installed. (Same mechanic told me I needed a new one)...and also said I need to clean the throttle body.

Tried to upload 2 pics but it said this app does not have access , can be fixed under privacy settings..this is a forum, not an app..any suggestions on how I can post the pics? (Using iPad)

Last edited:

gatorchin

Reaction score
Someone hit this car while it was parked...hence the good deal I got on it..also need some advice on how to get these dents out..obviously a dent puller isn't gonna work..I was thinking about going at it from the inside and pound it out the best I can..I know I can't get it perfect but if I can just get it looking a little better I'll be happy

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!

It's unlikely, did he say if it was the top or bottom mount?

gatorchin

Reaction score
He said it was the top..he shoved down on car a few times and it bounced right back up.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The top strut mount is the body, shown here with the strut hat poking through the center and 3 bolts holding it there. Not really a replaceable part aside from welding one in from a donor car.
6GT0ykl.png

If however it was the top of the strut he was referring to that is replaceable.
Strut hat is part 9
The upper bearing (which allows smooth rotational movement when steering) is part 8
upper spring seat is part 7
upper spring seat isolator is part 6
6qZnLja.png

Is the mount damaged? I suppose I should really ask, how did he describe the upper mount as being broken?

gatorchin

Reaction score
He didn't really say it was broken (he was pointing at the strut hat -part #9), just that it was worn out..but he called it the top strut mount and said I would need a spring compressor and take the bolts off and put a replacement in..maybe he is thinkin it's the bearing that's worn out..I'm not sure..I may take it back to him and get a better explanation.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The strut hat can also wear, there is a rubber bushing in there that can be replaced with the hat.

gatorchin

Reaction score
Maybe that's what he was talking about...thanks for your replies so far...gotta learn all I can about this car..if I have the tools and some guidance to tackle a repair--I do it

gatorchin

Reaction score
would it be easier/cheaper to just replace the strut?? i would imagine just replacing the bushing (which is what everyone i talk to is calling it)...when riding down bumpy roads it sounds like it's bottoming out..and i am getting ready to go on a 4-5 hour drive in a couple of weeks...the strut can't actually break can it?? it will be all highway driving, no bumpy roads.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso