Blown Cat

Clay7428

Reaction score
Hey folks, first post here. I've searched thru lots of other post, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for...

I've got a 2008 Cobalt LS with the 5 speed.... And a blown cat.

I looked under the car to find the cat, no problem. Then I started looking online for a replacement cat, and quickly became confused...

Is the cat and downpipe all part of the same tube / assembly? Is it possible to replace just the cat with a hi flow cat? And is my stock piping 2.5" or what?

I've been looking at ZZP for replacement options.... I figure "why replace when you can upgrade?" This isn't a race car, or Honda killer, just a commuter that's pretty fun to drive. I'm not a big fan of chrome so looks is secondary to functionality.

I'd greatly appreciate any insite y'all can share!

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Downpipe contains the cat, you can but one separate and have it welded in but replacing the whole assy is cheaper and easier. Zzp and MPx make good stuff, search around and see what you like. Other option is the LSJ downpipe, larger piping and cat.

Clay7428

Reaction score
Zzp is out of stock, and aren't sure when they're getting more in. I wound up ordering a downpipe assembly with a magnaflow, hi flow cat from Mandrel Systems. It should be here in a week or so....

Now I'm looking for a cat back system to go with the downpipe... The same company offers a cat back with the option of Borla, Magnaflow, or... Something that starts with a v.... Can't decide if I'm going to stick with magnaflow, or go with one of the others...

YouTube is driving me nuts... All they have are clips of the ss/SC or ss/tc versions... Anyone have a clip of the exhaust on a NA car?

Clay7428

Reaction score
I'm very happy with "Mandrel Exhaust Systems" (Mandrel Exhaust Systems - Featuring Mandrel Bends - Catback, Downpipe). I wound up ordering both my downpipe and cat-back thru them. I called them just now and they were in the process of building my downpipe with the Magnaflow hi-flow cat. The gentleman I spoke with was polite, knowledgeable, and very helpful with my questions.

Link to the downpipe:
04-10 CHEVY COBALT/SATURN ION/PONTIAC G5 - 3 BOLT DOWNPIPE W/ HF CAT

Link to the catback:
05-10 CHEVY COBALT EXHAUST - BOLT ON - (ALUMINIZED - 2.5 IN)

I wound up calling my good friend and mechanic to get the advantages / disadgantages of the stainless vs the aluminized on the cat back. They should both last quite a long time, and the aluminized tends to run cooler, though it's not a durable as the stainless. I confirmed this info with MES. Being a noob, I was also concerned with the different materials (DP being stainless, cat-back being aluminized). I was assured that wouldn't be an issue.

Like I said, VERY happy with MES. Best prices I've found, good customer service, and I highly recommend 'em to anyone in the market for a downpipe or cat back.

My toys will be shipped out monday. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

Clay7428

Reaction score
Best prices? You must not have looked around much.
ZZPerformance - 2.5 inch Stainless Cobalt/Ion Downpipe #ZZ-E25DP

The exhaust is a decent price though.

They were / are out of stock... I needed to get this blown cat replaced asap. Only reason I didn't go with ZZP.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

magnaflow exhaust on the cobalt are STUPID LOUD!

I checked the magnaflow website for sound clips before I wound up making my decision. I compared those sounds with what I was able to find that was similar to what I had on YouTube.

Here's a link to the magnaflow sound clips. I didn't think they were that loud, and I quite enjoyed the clip from inside the car (clip 3).

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Clay7428

Reaction score
My hi flow cat and cat back arrived Thursday. Both were very well protected and packaged. Shipping took four days (standard UPS) to get from the NW coast all the way to Northwest Houston. Very pleased with the shipping times and packaging.

I had the downpipe and exhaust put on this morning. The bolt holes on the downpipe flange that hooks up to the header had to be drilled out slightly as they were too small. The bend in the pipe that goes over the rear "axle bar" actually contacted said bar, so we had to trim the pipe. And the section of pipe with the muffler on it was also too long and had to be shortened by nearly three inches to fit in the stock hangers.

Had I been doing this project in my driveway, I'd have been pissed... Thankfully I was at a buddies shop, so the trimming, etc wasn't a big deal, but none the less disapointing.

How does it sound? Well, the previous poster was quite correct... It's LOUD!.... That, or I'm just too old for this shit, lol. The car is definitely more fun to drive, and begs to be wound up. It sounds great at higher rpms. I only got to drive it a short while, but cruising in 5th gear was also louder than I expected... The car really feels like it needs a LOT more air coming into it to go with the exhaust... So I know what my next purchase will be!

Overall...
Customer service 5/5
Shipping 5/5
Actual product 3/5 (trimming the pipes to fit)
Performance 4/5 (needs more on the intake side, though no fault of the exhaust)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup