Buying used Redline or ss/sc

1WhiteSSTC

Banned
Reaction score
Hate to do this but the ss/tc has gotta go :( I still haven't found a job and nothing I get will provide me enough money to keep the ss/tc and afford track time and track time comes first..........this leaves me with only a few decent options, Ion Redline, ss/sc, NSRT4, not too much else I'd want that makes enough power to be worth it on the track.

My question is what should I look for on a used Ion Redline or ss/sc? What mileage is too high? What major things should be changed/replaced by 60,000miles? 100,000miles? What things are likely to break or have been proven to be really weak parts? Stock axles I know are bad and the stage 2 ones were the way to go.........I can't really think of much else that I remember being really weak parts on the ss/sc lol beyond the stock tune

They call me godly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to do this but the ss/tc has gotta go :( I still haven't found a job and nothing I get will provide me enough money to keep the ss/tc and afford track time and track time comes first..........this leaves me with only a few decent options, Ion Redline, ss/sc, NSRT4, not too much else I'd want that makes enough power to be worth it on the track.

My question is what should I look for on a used Ion Redline or ss/sc? What mileage is too high? What major things should be changed/replaced by 60,000miles? 100,000miles? What things are likely to break or have been proven to be really weak parts? Stock axles I know are bad and the stage 2 ones were the way to go.........I can't really think of much else that I remember being really weak parts on the ss/sc lol beyond the stock tune

You should be able to pick up a stock SS/SC for around 10k. They are only blue booked for 12k in EXCELLENT condition. As far as mileage, mine had 67k on it and was still running strong. As long as the one you buy has been well taken care of I doubt you have any problems. Now of course as you said the Axles suck ass in the SS/SC, but mostly everything else is good to go and will hold strong for a very long time.

CBodnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinkin about selling my car for 13k. it has 41,300 on the dash as of last night. 96.534213% highway miles. 2007. black. g85. fully loaded for a 07. have every stock part including whole spare trunk with low pro wing and a bunch of other stuff. car makes 28x whp off the bottle and 350whp + on the bottle.

Last edited:

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
if i were to buy an ss/sc i wuld buy an 07, simply because i like the stering wheels in the 07-09 models lol]

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

i was thinkin about selling my car for 13k. it has 41,300 on the dash as of last night. 96.534213% highway miles. 2007. black. g85. fully loaded for a 07. have every stock part including whole spare trunk with low pro wing and a bunch of other stuff. car makes 28x whp off the bottle and 350whp + on the bottle.

thats a very good buy, my 07 has 43k miles, and thats low for a 4 year old car.

i would probably buy your car if i lived closer

CBodnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i were to buy an ss/sc i wuld buy an 07, simply because i like the stering wheels in the 07-09 models lol]

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

thats a very good buy, my 07 has 43k miles, and thats low for a 4 year old car.

i would probably buy your car if i lived closer

yeah. i am going to put it up on the forums once it's nice out and i take some pic's of it as a feeler but im going to put it up for 14-15k with all spare parts and everything or 12k stock. only reason why i have the price bumped up so high is 1. i am not really interested in selling the car as the motor is strong and i have 0 problems with the car. great on gas. also have spare 16" wheels with all season tires. also 2 drag radial hoosier qtp tires aka cheater slicks. never used them though other than drove around on them for a couple miles. if i have spare time this year maybe i'll bring it to the track and just bug out like i usually do with out launching it and run a 12.x something. shouldn't be hard at all but yeah thanks and if you wanted it you could always fly out. maybe this week or weekend i'll get pic's up of what it looks like right now. most know my car as it's flawless and well taken care of. only time i've raced it was from a roll and couple times at the track but never launched it.

edit: def. raced the car more than just a couple times from a roll. lol. more like 150+ times to be realistic. hey, at least i'm honest.

Reaction score
if you're gonna buy a used ss/sc just look for any rape action.
lol, check to see if its majorly modded scratches inside the engine bay.
make sure the car wasn't turbo swapped or anything.
also when you get it make sure the pump is working properly that is something that generally goes out around 50k.
i would listen to each piston and make sure you don't hear any weird knocks or pings coming from them. (use a screwdriver and put it on the valve cover)
also check the sunroof a lot of leakage issues there on older ss/scs.
make sure all doors close properly as well, and that the wiring works on everything.
people have def had issues there with used ones.
all in all just check for any flood issues, just normal car stuff.
the main thing i'd look for is to see if the car has been molested or not.

good luck!

CBodnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're gonna buy a used ss/sc just look for any rape action.
lol, check to see if its majorly modded scratches inside the engine bay.
make sure the car wasn't turbo swapped or anything.
also when you get it make sure the pump is working properly that is something that generally goes out around 50k.
i would listen to each piston and make sure you don't hear any weird knocks or pings coming from them. (use a screwdriver and put it on the valve cover)
also check the sunroof a lot of leakage issues there on older ss/scs.
make sure all doors close properly as well, and that the wiring works on everything.
people have def had issues there with used ones.
all in all just check for any flood issues, just normal car stuff.
the main thing i'd look for is to see if the car has been molested or not.

good luck!

if someone followed that my car would make out perfect in everything you said. damn i def. should just keep my car to see how long it can last. i hope my pump doesn't go out at 50k

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to buy something to use at the track... then buy the Redline. Its lighter from the factory, from what I remember. You should be able to pick up an 05 Redline fairly cheaply these days. Should be cheaper than a Cobalt, as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup