Change Speakers - Stock Head Unit

danpluso

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just got a new 2010 Cobalt Coupe LT the other day and the audio system really stinks. The head unit is the upgraded one with XM radio and a USB port but it's definitely not the Pioneer setup and does not have onstar.

I have a fair bit of experience installing audio systems and have done three complete installs before but I don't feel comfortable altering the electrical wiring in my new car (warranty reasons) so what speakers would be a good fit with the stock head unit? I understand that the stock head unit doesn't output much power so getting speakers with a lower RMS would be a better way to go so they can be pushed better then a higher wattage speaker.

Looking at 6 1/2 speakers on crutchfield's site, they all say "Item is compatible with your car - Minor modification required". What minor modification is required for the front speakers?

For the 6 x 9 speakers it says most of them are not compatible but it does show a few 2-way 6 x 9 speakers as being compatible (no modification). Why is that? If it can fit certain 6 x 9 2-ways why wouldn't it be able to fit other 6 x 9 3-ways?

Here are the speakers I'm looking at now:

6 1/2:
Pioneer TS-A1673R 6 1/2" 3-way speaker (pair)
Kenwood KFC-1662S 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" 3-way Speakers
JVC 6 1/2" Car Speakers (CS-V626) : 6 1/2" Speakers - Future Shop

6 x 9:
Pioneer TS-A6963R 6X9" 3-way speaker 270W (pair)
JVC 6" x 9" 3-Way Car Speakers (CS-V6936) : 6"x9" Speakers - Future Shop

I couldn't seem to find matching 6 x 9 kenwoods for the 6 1/2 kenwoods.

Last edited:

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minor modification required most likly is because you need to drill screws to hold your speakers in the door . your speakers in there now is held on with foam tape .

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't look at the speaker rms. the actual quality of the speaker makes a bigger difference then what power its getting or not getting on the stock HU

i wouldn't recommend any of those speakers to be honest. i know for a fact the pioneers are worse then stock and im 99% sure the kenwoods are as well. and the jvcs aren't too promising but i don't remember ever hearing them

the stock fronts are held on by foam tape and a clip so they are a weird size. the rears are probably due to the basket size. the cut out for out speakers isn't huge and cant fit some 6X9 baskets "properly" but that doesn't mean it wont work at all

danpluso

Reaction score
You really think so? That's the first time I have ever seen someone say that stock speakers are better then brand name Pioneer speakers. Are the stock speakers even 3-way? I find they are really lacking in the high frequency range.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree with you on the high frequency range somewhat.... stock speakers are dual cone so of course a speaker with a tweeter will be "louder" tweeter wise then the stocks. but thats the only advantage i can think of (notice i said louder not sounds better) overall head to head the stock speakers sound better. I replaced 2 pairs of stock blown speakers with the ts pioneers in 2 silverados on the monday after christmas and on both of them i would have rather had the blown speakers then the pioneers. if the only problem with the stocks is lacking tweeter then buy a nice pair of tweeters for 80 bucks and call it a day.

Dont fall into the marketing hype of 3way + speakers. look at all the expensive speakers and see how many are 3 way. one? 6X9 is the only size that 3 way is "standard" because they can actually fit good components. a 6.5 is too small so what u end up getting is 2 shitty tweeters compared to one good one.

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not nesecarily say that aftermarket speakers are not as good as stock, it depends entirely on the setup and wheter or not they are going to be amplified or not. Sound quality can vary widely with the application being used, if they are non amplified then stock works fine with an aftermarket deck but when you go amplified then yeah change them out to something better by all means. I tired out a set of clarion 6.5" speakers and non amped they sucked for any bass whatsoever totally lacking that end but they sounded good for the mid and highs. Mind you I also hate the sound of the alpine deck I have in there it sucks compared to the cheap azz sony deck that was in there beforehand.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right i never said that all after market speakers suck just the ones in particular he was looking at (that sounds fucked i know im sorry)... IMO they sounded worse then stock and if i had to choose i would have kept the stock blown speakers. Whether or not dan likes them is solely up to him everyone "prefers" a different sound but i figured id save him the 80 bucks that he can honestly spend the exact same amount and get much better sound

danpluso

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the help. I guess I will just keep rocking these stock speakers for a bit longer until they blow or I get a bit more money to work with.

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, thats what I did for my wifes mazda tribute, the jvc deck made it sounds 10x better than the stock radio and she is still rocking those, I would gladly trade my clarions and the alpine deck for a better setup, its the first time I was really let down with an alpine decks sound quality.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the help. I guess I will just keep rocking these stock speakers for a bit longer until they blow or I get a bit more money to work with.

thats cool man. in the mean time i would take a drive down to a local audio shop/best buy ect and listen to a few sets of speakers. unfortunately pioneer and kenwood sold out when it comes to vocal speakers and they keep the bar really low to please their big brother walmart. like i said with that price range u can get decent speakers but the best judge is your ears so going to a shop when u can look and hear some will get you what u want

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso