Check engine light came on after dealer replaced fuel filter

Allie7

Reaction score
Last Tuesday the dealer replaced my fuel filter and did a transmission fluid flush on my 2010 chevy cobalt lt 2.2L. It has 96k miles.

3 days later my check engine light came on. (It's never come on for me - I bought the car last October)

Autozone gave me 2 diagnostic codes: P0010 which is 'intake camshaft position actuator solenoid...control circuit bank 1' Also code PO326/PO327 which is 'knock sensor condition'. One of the causes for knock sensor condition is 'low fuel pressure'.

Autozone and my husband say it's possible the dealer's work went amiss and caused something fuel-wise which in turn caused the check engine light to come on.

The dealer said that is highly unlikely. They said low fuel pressure would prevent my car from even starting. Is that true? Also, could a faulty fuel filter install still cause the check engine light to come on somehow? The dealer also said their diagnostics should be able to determine if the light came on because of their work. Is that true as well? (If diagnostics shows it wasn't their work, then I pay for diagnostics).

Thank you! :emotions122:

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Another thought: For the PO010 code, should I consider changing my oil? Oil can henry's last changed it 1k miles ago and they said my oil was dirty. Perhaps should I have the dealer do an oil change now? Oil can henry's uses castro brand and used the standard 5w30 conventional.

One other question: Autozone said not to drive my car til I get it fixed as one of the codes (the camshaft one if i recall) indicates driving it could cause severe engine damage. The dealer said that is not true and I'm safe to drive it for a few weeks/til i clear the engine light. Who is right?

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The dealer is right on the P0010, that is very likely the intake cam actuator. When it dies the computer just stops using it, power and mileage might suffer but it won't hurt the engine.

Allie7

Reaction score
Thank you. If I replace the intake cam actuator myself, is the Autozone brand (Duralast) a good one?

If I have the dealer replace it, would it be smarter just to have them do that first ($1-150) and avoid the $103 diagnostic fee?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you know how to use a ratchet, do it yourself. It's one 10mm bolt right on top of the engine. I bought the ACDelco one for mine.

Allie7

Reaction score
Do you have a part # for that? I looked on Rock Auto and couldn't find anything for 'intake cam actuator'. Thank you!

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

YellowEye, is the fix you posted on this page applicable to my car: http://www.chevycobaltforum.com/forum/f16/p0010-code-easy-fix-5426/

I searched for that part # you posted on the above link, on gmpartsdirect.com and they said it was superceded by a new # plus they're not sure if it's the right part for my car. The new part # is 12646783.

Finally, how do i know if it's the solenoid or sensor that needs replaced?

Thank you!

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
RockAuto has the parts for a good price. There's a discount code in their section on the forum too.

It's normally the actuator that needs replaced. I haven't seen one where the sensor was bad.

Allie7

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks. What category is 'intake cam actuator' found under on rockauto.com? I looked under all the electrical categories, the emissions one, engine, exhaust, and others to no avail. Searching by the old and new parts #'s from gmpartsdirect yielded no results. When I searched for the part name for my car (find category) it brought me to suspension category and yet there is no 'intake cam actuator' part there. Sorry to ask again and sorry I don't have a knack for finding parts. I am quite challenged when it comes to anything mechanical!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry they're listed as "variable timing solenoids" they have Dorman and another brand. Amazon is where I bought my ACDelco ones.

Allie7

Reaction score
Thank you, good to know!

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:55 PM ----------

Got it, thanks again for all your help!
I'm going to go with the rock auto one. I hope Dorman makes a good part. I couldn't find any AcDelco parts on amazon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie