Check Engine Light

LSCobalt

Reaction score
I have a question for you guys. I bought a new 2009 Cobalt LS with a 2.2L engine back in 2009. This is the first car I have ever owned with a computer. I changed the oil and filter last week and inspected the air filter. On the way to the supermarket I noticed the check engine light was on. This is the first time I have ever got a check engine light. I am guessing it was something I did when I changed the oil and filter. I found that I didn't install the air filter cover correctly. I removed it and installed in correctly this time.

Could that incorrectly installed air filter cover be the cause of the check engine light? I am waiting for a scanner/reader that I recently ordered. I will try to turn off the check engine light and hope it doesn't come on again.

Thank you

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It would be most helpful if you got the code scanned to see what the code is for. In Tennessee you can go to any O'Reilly's or Autozone and get it read. Post up the Pxxxx or whatever code number it reads out and we can go from there.

LSCobalt

Reaction score
It would be most helpful if you got the code scanned to see what the code is for. In Tennessee you can go to any O'Reilly's or Autozone and get it read. Post up the Pxxxx or whatever code number it reads out and we can go from there.

I got the scanner/reader and plugged it in the port. I am getting a P0101 error. I thought I erased the code when the check engine light went out but the code is still there.

I haven't driven the car since I returned from the supermaket last Friday. Do you think the error code will go away after I drive the car with the air filter cover correctly installed? The error appears to be related to air flow and the maf sensor.

If the check engine light comes on again, I will have the car repaired at the dealership where I bought it.

Thank you

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the MAF sensor plugged in? A simple clean of the sensor with MAF Cleaner spray can help. Alternatively you have a vacuum leak somewhere after the sensor and before the cylinders. Make sure your clamp connections are all tightened down and the hoses are hooked up. I've seen that error come up when the line going from the valve cover to intake comes off.

LSCobalt

Reaction score
Is the MAF sensor plugged in? A simple clean of the sensor with MAF Cleaner spray can help. Alternatively you have a vacuum leak somewhere after the sensor and before the cylinders. Make sure your clamp connections are all tightened down and the hoses are hooked up. I've seen that error come up when the line going from the valve cover to intake comes off.

Update. I think I erased the error code Wednesday when the check engine light went out. Check engine lights and error codes are new to me but I believe that if the problem wasn't resolved and still persists, the check engine light comes on again. I drove the car to the supermarket this morning and the check engine light remains out. Evidently the incorrectly installed air filter cover caused too much air flow into the mass air flow sensor. The programmed value must have been exceeded and when the CPU read the sensor registers, a flag was raised.

Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup