Cobalt to G5 rear

XVI1987

Reaction score
I used to think the rear tail light sockets were part of the quarter panel. Recently noticed that they're actually part of the rear cover.. Not a fan of the circle lights so I'm wonder if anyone knows if G5 tail lights are a direct bolt in if I get a G5 rear cover. Trunk would have to be replaced as well, that's fine. Anyone know though? Direct bolt in lights would be awesome. Thx

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What????? The light is huge from a g5 to a cobalt coupe tails.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll need the tails and rear bumper for sure. The trunk too to get rid of the lights. There's a guy that did it on his LNF so it's doable.

XVI1987

Reaction score
Well there's a G5 trunk at our local wrecker right now and I'm a painter so I have no prob doing this, it also has the same spoiler so I don't have to worry about making any new holes. Seems like a pretty easy job. Find tail lights with the built in reverse lights and we're good. Just an idea, might grow to like the circles. Thanks for info, we'll see!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
G5 rear bumper houses the reverse lights near the plate.

Also you cannot use a cobalt sedan rear on a coupe.

XVI1987

Reaction score
I know the coupe/sedan difference, I was hoping I could use the sedan tail lights but I'm not exactly sure if they are the same or not, they look close aside from the coupes having a little more detail and stick out a bit. For the reverse lights, same plugs? I assume the tail lights have the right mounting holes for G5 and Cobalts, right?

blu3_v1p3r

Reaction score
I know the coupe/sedan difference, I was hoping I could use the sedan tail lights but I'm not exactly sure if they are the same or not, they look close aside from the coupes having a little more detail and stick out a bit. For the reverse lights, same plugs? I assume the tail lights have the right mounting holes for G5 and Cobalts, right?

Sedan tails will not fit on the G5 rear end, they are not the same. To make your cobalt coupe look like the G5 you'll need the G5 bumper and tail lights. They should both just be a direct swap.

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all it takes is the above, and moving the reverse wiring from the trunk lid down to the plate area. shouldnt need to extend them very much if at all if they are routed good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso