Cylinder 1 Misfire, please help

jan_mast

Reaction score
I did inspect the cable, nothing obviously broken.

Is there a method to test the cable? I am an electronics technician by trade, just don't have the pin out if the cable. Nor do I know what the voltage should be when that cylinder fires. Thanks for all the help thus far!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to compare the input of the other 3 as a reference against the bad one.

Here's the connector info.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382505397309.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382505397309.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 19

jan_mast

Reaction score
I pulled off the plug for the #2 cylinder and took readings on those pins and then took readings on the plug for #1 cylinder and they were virtually identical. It doesnt seem to me like its an electrical problem...

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This would be my last option. Only because timing is probably OK since all other 3 are fine.

I would say there may be a missfire caused by valves. Highly doubt it. It can be anything really. But I'm dead set something is not closing right. Pull the valve cover off. Check #1 and see if valve springs aren't broken.

Another thing could be piston rings. Never know.

Wait for more input . That is just me thinking too mucj

Chopper8176

Reaction score
I have the same problem, my first thought was the fuel injector. I first got code p1174 (fuel/air mixture imbalance), I found my purge valve was stuck shut, I got it to start purge breathing again. My CEL shut off, but came back on a few days later. I checked code reader and it came up with p0301. Just wondering if you found out your car's problem?

bockwoldt

Reaction score
In cases of misfires these are main steps to follow:

Move spark plug from another cylinder not having the misfire. If the misfire follows the cylinder, change the spark plugs. If the spark plug is good, then change the coli pack from another known good cylinder. If misfire follows, change the coil pack. If this doesn't work, move a known good injector from another cylinder. If misfire follows the injector then replace.

There are also a set of o-rings around the fuel injector and collar. If the above does not work, take some carburetor cleaner and spray around the injector while running. You will here a sucking noise and engine RMP increase if it's bad. Replace the o-rings if this is the case.

It's a matter of deduction with a cylinder misfire. You also don't have to spend a lot of money replacing plugs, coil packs and injectors. Move the pieces from the known good cylinders to see if the problem follows.

This recently happened on my 2008 LT on cylinder 4. I went thru the steps above and still had the problem on cylinder 4. Once I sprayed the carb cleaner around injector 4, I heard the sucking of the fluid and RPM kick up briefly. Replaced the o-rings and all is well.

papa karl

Reaction score
Hope you don't have what my Mazda had, a stuck open valve!! Try a compression test, but I hope it's a bad injector

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie