Empty coolant tank?

strangelady

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Cobalt coupe, 4 cyl., 2.2L, I bought it about two months ago. Over the past couple of days my cooling system warning has been coming on intermittently and I've been keeping an eye on the coolant temperature and it's been high -- getting into the 240s-250s very quickly. I checked the coolant tank before leaving for work this morning and it's empty. I bought coolant to fill it back up but my question is this: is it unusual for the coolant tank to be empty?

My dad's not the greatest with cars and I posed the question to him and he said that it shouldn't be empty, it doesn't go anywhere. I've looked around and saw that it is possible for it to evaporate over time, especially if the cap isn't screwed on properly (unless it's a leak? I hope it's not). I'm hoping someone on this forum has some better information for me.

I did read the manual (I have it open right now) and it says "This coolant (DEX-COOL) is designed to remain in your vehicle for five years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, if you add only DEX-COOL extended life coolant." Is it possible for the tank to be empty, then, especially if the coolant tank wasn't being topped off regularly?

***If I sound like an idiot when it comes to cars, don't worry, I am, and I know it. My Cobalt is the first car I've ever owned myself and I don't want to damage it by being a stupid car owner.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should fill it up with a 50/50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water (the premixed stuff works). Once it's full keep a couple gallons in the trunk and top it off over the next week as the air bubbles work out of the system.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais