factory pioneer sub w/ amp

pontiac3100

Reaction score
this site is very informative and cool.
so hopefully y'all can help out a noob.

this is weird because the car isn't a cobalt or a g5 but the system is from a cobalt.

i have a 95 Pontiac grand am gt. has the 6 speaker sound system w/ a pioneer h/u...but needs a Lil bit more bass.

a friend of mine sold me a pioneer sub with the box and amp from a cobalt for $20. it was sitting in his garage for awhile had no need for it, now the pioneer has a feature where you can use a small unpowered sub from the h/u ouput itself.
i did that it sounds nice, but i need my rear speaker's and i just read from the search that the sub is powered by a 170watt amp.

so i used a Jensen amp that put out 160watts bridged but the amp get's too hot.

my friend found the amp but there's only one harness hooked to it. the other two are missing.

so i don't know if i should pursue to keep the oem amp and hook it up or get a different amp?

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont mess with the oem amp not only is it garbage its small anyway + wiring would be a bitch. How do u have that jensen hooked up? on the stock sub it should have 2 red wires and 2 black wires

pontiac3100

Reaction score
thanks for the reply...
it's funny that you mention that.
seeing that this was a dvc sub. i figured i could use a set of blk and red wire's...i was wrong.

in order to get the sub to work i have to use both.

so I'm using both of em.
bridged onto the Jensen amp.
though i don't think it's 2 ohm stable bridged and i don't wanna have to use one channel (left or right) cause i figure that the sub isn't going to get the power that it needs only half that if anything.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u can just use one of them. but you probably picked the wrong "set"

the reason the amp is heating up is because u have it at 1 ohm bridged. take the wires off the amp and hook one red and black to one channel. If it works then hook the other set to the other channel. If it doesn't work then take off the red and use the red wire you didn't use the first time

pontiac3100

Reaction score
well when i removed the sub and tested them both terminals worked.
the sub hit's nice and hard which is pretty amazing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso