front door speaker problems

Destrii1

Reaction score
Yes, I would agree.
I'm just starting searching for something nice.
Anyone want to bombard me with any recommendations and possibly some pics?

So far, my early search seems to favor ipods and iphones (which I don't want-I have android) over android as I look at some big screen (approx. 6") units.

I guess what I'm initially thinking, at this beginning of my search, is am/fm radio, cd, dvd, gps, usb, android (not necessarily iphone, but definitely android)....in a 6" approx. sized screen that may have to be made to fit into a single din slot. (I'm presuming that the slot can be enlarged to fit the unit.....in something that's moderately priced. I've seen similar like units going for $700+. I hesitate to spend more than that.

Or am I just dreaming to big?

Do I have to subscribe to a satellite radio or something (I don't know what all's out there) in order to get gps to work?

Some of my questions may seem silly because I don't know much about all this yet. I'll learn more as I research more.

I would like to hear some of your suggestions. Thanks.

Destrii1

Reaction score
Well.....I posted a reply yesterday but it didn't show up.
???
I used Quick Reply. ???

Anyway, this time I'm using the reply box under the last posted comment.

I'll try and reiterate what I had posted.

I have decided to look into a new radio or touchscreen unit.

I would like the big display. I don't know much about it yet, not yet having done much research but I wanted the touchscreen unit that features stuff like usb, am/fm, cd, dvd, gps, bluetooth, etc.

Do I have to subscribe to a satellite service or something to get gps to work? What about the other features working? Do I have to be signed up with a service?

My radio fills a space 4 3/4" X 7 3/4". Is that called the single din or double din space? Can a touchscreen unit in the 6" - 7" range fit or be made to fit in dash?

I have looked initially at a few units online and they seem to feature iphone partiality. I want android compatibility.

The prices climb quickly for these units. I hesitate to go higher than the $700-800 range.

Lastly, I enlist recommendation from you all to give me some ideas and/or starting points as to what units I can look at that I might like.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Well, now I see the first post that I thought didn't post.

I guess it went to page 2 but it didn't show me it did that. So I didn't see it until I re-posted.

Fix! Or at least tell/show me next time what I didn't do right. Thanks.

It's frustrating when you have to redo something and then find out you didn't have to redo it.

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In-Dash Car Navigation Systems - Car Navigation Systems at OnlineCarStereo.com - Bluetooth | Yes - Preamp Voltage | 4 - Rear View Camera Input | Yes

this was just a basic search, but you can remove the options and go from there. they have the best prices i had found on most things. but i dont look above $400.....

as for the iphone features, they are run by usb. with a bluetooth headunit, androids can do just as much. pretty answer, reject calls, and pandora for sure. i'm sure there are alot of other things, but i messed up and ordered the wrong receiver that doesn't have bluetooth.

Destrii1

Reaction score
Thanks for the leads. I'll certainly look into them.

Just an update.....now the driver's side front door speaker came back and has been working for about 1 1/2 weeks.

Prior to that, it was faint for about 2 weeks, and going back in time even more, it was in and out the first week after I got the new speakers.

It is working now. But that doesn't mean it won't start acting up tomorrow.

I say speaker because it is my only 'indicator' for trouble. What I really mean is the radio. I guess that's the problem-the radio.

For now, I still need to shop around (and check out your site, too). Cash is slow right now.

Thanks.

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could switch out the speaker wire to eliminate that, but since you have the '09 your chime comes through that speaker. i dont remember if this was already said now, but also since you have the '09 i think you need the expensive wiring harness also. if you use the cheap one you lose your chime for keys, headlights on, and i believe the odometer display stops working. although, i havent read anything about that recently to know if anyone has gotten around that.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Odometer doesn't stop working, you just loose any and all chimes. Using a multimeter to test the continuity if that section of wire would be a good idea.

Destrii1

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have been to a local Stereo Shop and they have about sold me on a JVC KWNT510HDT unit. Once it's all said and done, we're talking $1200. I'm going to have to start saving. It may be several months.
But does anyone know anything about this unit-good or bad?

These people said they would check all my wiring out if I buy this unit and let them install it as well as show me everything about how to operate it. They gave a good sales pitch and I asked a lot of questions. My local Chevrolet dealership recommended them as they use their services as well.

The more I look into this project, the less I feel I could do it myself.

Incidentally, two days after I last posted, the driver speaker started acting up again and has been ever since.

Thanks for all the replies.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not a huge fan on JVC but they arent bad. do you have the stock pioneer sound system? or the base?

Destrii1

Reaction score
Hi! Sorry for the delay. October is my most trying month.

The speaker continues to go in and out. A curious thing......when I plug my android smartphone into it to listen to my phone's music, it seems to bring back the drivers side speaker. Then, after I finish and switch back to listening to the radio, the speaker will work for an hour or day or two.

Very strange.

I only have the two Pioneer door speakers I bought, hoping that would cure the problem-as some forums suggested it would. My back speakers are factory.

I still continue to wait to get October out of the way so I can start saving up for the JVC unit. Lots of my bills come due for me in October. More than in other months.

Thanks for the posts.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your good im just trying to point you the right direction. My main selling point was the shop checking out the wiring.

however i used to work at a shop... and checking out the wiring may or may not be enough.

nice to know the front speakers were replaced and didnt fix the issue. but do you have the base stock system or the upgraded pioneer 7 speaker stock system? im asking because it makes a difference

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso