Fronting the cat?

Fletch627

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody done this? A buddy of mine was suggesting I do it after I get my catback in and installed. Wanted to know some more info first.

Last edited:

Fletch627

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"You gonna get cat forward to the block eventually? With header to the cat you'll notice a larger difference than you will with just a cat back. Then again, if you do both, you should notice an even larger increase in power (like 30-65bhp) depending on what parts/ manufacturer you go with."

"Its basically just replacing the exhaust manifold with headers and a less restrictive (larger) downpipe that connects to the cat. Unless you know what your doing, replacing the manifold with headers is a pain in the ass with the o2 sensors and everything though. I'd just take it to an exhaust shop and have them install it."

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard of it called that. That being said please do not ever refer to it as such again, it makes my head hurt and sounds uneducated and ghetto as hell.

Now to clear some of those misconceptions up:
1.) No way, no how are you going to get 30-65bhp out of a header and downpipe on an N/A Ecotec motor. I think your friend played NFS:Underground too much.
2.) There is only one exhaust manifold on an inline 4-cyl motor.
3.) The downpipe typically contains the cat on most vehicles.
4.) Swapping the stock exhaust header and downpipe for a higher flowing set is cake and should take no more than a couple hours by yourself with hand tools. Grand total of 2 sensors to remove and install, approximately 15-20 bolts to undo and replace.

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMAO bawh hahahahahahaha bawh hahahahhaha LOLOLOLOLOL

The opposite of a cat-back.. cat forward!!! Your friend truly sounds like a genius! Can haz pixors so mez can point and raff?

LotusRenaultF1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is a front exhaust, like when the exhaust pops out behind the front tire rather than all the way to the back. I mean I guess that would look cool...or maybe not.

Seriously though, I can't see a 60hp gain from it. Don't learn from F&F. If it doesn't sound normal to you, don't do it.

blu3_v1p3r

Reaction score
fronting the cat sounds like one of the perverted sex phrases. Like the masking the gorilla or the angry dolphin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso