Frustrated with idle problems...

squidneyy

Reaction score
Okay,I am new here to this forum so I would like to start off by saying that up until I got this car, I didn't know much about cars in general. My dad always fixed anything that went wrong. But now since I got this car, I've been slowly learning the basics - because it keeps giving me problems.

the car is a 2009 Cobalt LT 2.0. it has 69k miles on it. I have had it since april 2013.

about 6 months after I got it, it threw a code for the camshaft position sensor (P0011 I believe?) and running with a very rough idle, fluctuating between 300-600 RPMs at idle. I replaced the sensor since it was very easy. However, this turned out to not be the problem, because the symptoms have not stopped since then. The car only stalled out once when the problem first arose, hasn't since then and it starts fine. While driving it will 'stutter' randomly and it runs rough while decelerating. The lights will dim/flicker and the needles will swing.

I researched a lot and I cleaned the throttle body, replaced the air filter, about a month apart from eachother. The new air filter fixed the problem for about 20 minutes, as had cleaning the throttle body - even got the engine light to go off - but then it promptly returned and began running bad again. Throughout the process I have disconnected the battery for an hour several times.

Today, I brought it to autozone to have the codes read, and it came up as the camshaft sensor again (although I didn't get the code this time, because the guy was a jerk due to me being a 17 year old girl)

I will not bring it to a shop because the people in this town will mess with your car. If I could only figure out what it is, either my dad or I can most likely fix it or I will get the help of a mechanic friend.

My thoughts were to do an oil change, replace the oil and fuel filters, clean the MAF sensor and change the spark plugs. At no point has it thrown a code for a misfire.

Something just occurred to me - I was in an accident a while back in this car, I got clipped on the rear passenger side and pushed about 15 feet. the car itself was fine, just some trade paint and a bent arm - but it hit almost directly where the battery is located. could the battery have been damaged and is causing this?

really sorry for how long this post is, I'm just at my whits end with this car - I haven't had it long and it is only 5 years old!

one more thing - it keeps alerting me to random things - low tire pressure & it wouldn't allow me to start it because the anti theft system kicked in for an unknown reason. it seems maybe electrical to me... urg

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off welcome to CCF.

You said you have a 2009 Cobalt LT with a 2.0L motor, the 09 LT came with a 2.2L naturally aspirated motor call the LAP.

What part did you replace exactly? Part number?

The P0011 references the VVT actuator solenoid as the part that should be replaced. It looks like this:
1000x1000.jpg

And goes here, the one closest to the nose of the car.
EngineBayClose.jpg

squidneyy

Reaction score
I admit I may have gotten that mixed up - it is just stock, no turbo, so would that be the 2.2? It was so long ago that I bought the part I no longer remember, however it looked nothing like the picture you posted - it was plastic. I will be going to autozone today to see what code its throwing right now and I can look up the number of the part I replaced last. I will also look into replacing the part that you posted. I really appreciate your response! Im sorry for my lack of knowledge

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No worries, we all started somewhere. You're the 3rd person on this board including myself that have had to replace the actuator solenoid and I know there are many more elsewhere. I believe the part was $30 from RockAuto.com, they're a sponsor here and have a nice discount posted in the sponsor area.

squidneyy

Reaction score
Okay thankss :) I will go order that and do the maintenance in the mean time. Hopefully i can put an end to this

squidneyy

Reaction score
Update - went to auozone and got the codes read. Now its throwingp0011, p0561, and p0411. Any one have experience with these? Also, the car has a bent arm still apparenrly - my tire was a tickig time bomb. Fnl.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
P0011- replace VVT actuator solenoid

No idea about the other two right now. I'll check my book later.
P0411- Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected
P0561- System Voltage Unstable

What bent arm?

squidneyy

Reaction score
After the accident the arm was only slightly bent - my friend straightened it. But I was looking at the tire tonight and it is completwly worn - to the point that I cut myself when running my finger along it. The arm was still bent and thus creating un even wear, wearing through the inside half of the tire. Still comoletely lost as to what to do next.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the swing arm is bent it needs replaced, could be one of the bushings though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup