Gauge lights inop after radio work

Moldy Stir-Fry

Reaction score
After trying to hook up my amp and finding that the previous owner did a hideous hack job on the aftermarket radio install... I was repairing bad wire splices that were making the speakers crackly and saw a disconnected blue wire just hanging out in there. I saw a corresponding blue wire attached to the radio harness and I said "I wonder." Plugged them together, and apparently nothing happened. Got in the car next morning and the instrument cluster lights work. Only the "idiot" lights. The gauges work, but the gauge backlighting doesn't. Also the HVAC dial lights and car marker lights went out. Any ideas?
2007 Cobalt SS 2.4l NA 2 door

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might want to check your fuses. I'm guessing you might have blown the cluster light and parking light fuses. The cluster fuse is in the kick panel fuse box, parking lights there is one in each of the fuse boxes.
BCMfuse_zps0977c2bd.jpg

Moldy Stir-Fry

Reaction score
I'll check that again. The only one I checked was the instrument cluster cause at the time I didn't know the marker lights were out. Would the marker light fuse control part of the dash though?

Moldy Stir-Fry

Reaction score
Wow, I feel like a clown. It's obvious I haven't had this car very long. Found the park lamp fuse hiding right in the middle of the under hood fuse box. Put a new one in, everything works. Thanks for the assist! It really sucks trying to drive worth no gauge lights at 5am.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol no worries, glad we got you going again. Simple stuff is easy to overlook.

The blue wire out of the stereo was probably a powered antenna line, used for turning on amps and the like, not so sure about the vehicle side.

If you know which harness that line belongs to on the car I can probably look it up to see where it goes.

If it's part of the aftermarket harness which one is it using?

Moldy Stir-Fry

Reaction score
It's on the car side and looks like it belongs in the radio harness. Just solid blue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie