HELP!! grinding noise from rear right tire on fast turns

Cashman3000

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and would like some help figuring out my problem. (I have a 2006 Cobalt automatic) So every time I take a hard/fast right hand turn I get grinding sound from the rear right tire. It kinda sounds like the abs brakes are going off but theres no lock up on the tire. I took a look under neath and every thing seemed to look ok (i dont know much about mechanics) nothing seemed to be broken or anything like that. I am thinking that it might be the bearing b/c I dont think they have been replaced since I got the car brand new. It would be nice to know whats wrong.

PS. is it bad to do powerslides using the e-brake on a automatic.

FASTL61

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its bad regardless.dont do it! lol.Sounds like either the bearing or something with the brakes.jack it up and see if you can wiggle the tire.If so then looks like the wheel bearing is donezo

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah sounds like a wheel bearing is fried to me, do what he said and jack it up to see if you can wiggle it.

Cashman3000

Reaction score
ok I found out what was making the sound. So i have winter tires for my car the they are quite beefy so when i took a fast turn the tire would rub on the wheel well. its all ok now cuz i gots my street tires on. :aktion033:

Jmesl8er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I found out what was making the sound. So i have winter tires for my car the they are quite beefy so when i took a fast turn the tire would rub on the wheel well. its all ok now cuz i gots my street tires on. :aktion033:

Is your car lowered? What, did you have truck tires on it?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, powersliding with an ebrake is bad, it's hard on your tires which will develop flat spots. It's hard on your wheel bearings as well since they aren't designed to be stressed in that direction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup