Help! Pioneer sub question

habsfan170

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just bought a 2010 Cobalt w/ Pioneer sound system. I had noticed it didn't have the sub when I was looking at the car, but I assumed that it was an option that hadn't been ticked, I knew it had the Pioneer system otherwise. But I only see evidence that it was a 7 speaker unit available in 2010 and thus the previous owner must have removed the sub. My question: My understanding is that the channel on the amplifier covers the sub and both the rear drivers. Would having the sub disconnected mess up the current going to the rear drivers and thus negatively affect the sound? They sound pathetic to me right now and I was looking at upgrading them to some 'Kicker' 6 x 9s. Would appreciate your expertise... Thanks!

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no it wont mess up the power going to the current 6X9s. And if you plan on replacing them you will want to choose 2 ohm drivers

habsfan170

Reaction score
Do you have tweeters in the upper door panels?

Yes, the sharkfin tweeters are there, and the rear 6 x 9s are Pioneer as well (although they sound awful on their own).

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

no it wont mess up the power going to the current 6X9s. And if you plan on replacing them you will want to choose 2 ohm drivers

Thank you very much! Helps a lot.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They sound bad because the system is using a low pass filter on them because the sub is supposed to be there. It allows them to be clearer in the mid and high range.

Are they paper whizzer 6x9 Speakers?

habsfan170

Reaction score
Hi YelloEye - Okay that makes sense about the low pass filter... I guess that is something that isn't quick and easy to change. I think the best solution is to just go to a car audio place and get them to install a sub, might do the 6 x 9s as well. Buying a pioneer one on ebay and then trying to figure the wiring out myself might be tumultuous. I don't know what you mean by paper whizzer... they're the Pioneer ones that come with the car. I'd love to be able to take that low pass filter off if possible, they are really bland.

Thanks for the help.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think you can't turn off the low pass and retain the factory amp.

Hooking up the stock sub is just 4 wires, those should already be present on the drivers side trunk, mounting is 2 or 3 studs sticking out from the wall.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right the high pass cant be removed its built into the amp. If you use an aftermarket HU or amp you could do an amp bypass and get around that. but its probably easier to just get a sub. You could try to get a stock sub and box and theoretically plug it in assuming the wires are there and the amp is good

habsfan170

Reaction score
Okay, I'll assess my options and see where that takes me. I've looked back there and there isn't any obvious wire ends sticking out. Appreciate the expertise guys!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup