help pleaseeee

countrygirl197789

Reaction score
Ok so my car is beginning to mess up. My check engine light has been on for a while the code is p0010. I changed both my camshaft position sensors. Now when i drive it and im at a stop sign or redlight it acts like its gonna die. It putters so i have to keep giving it gas. And when im driving at night and it does it my lights dem. I went and had my atlernator checked and its fine. Has anyone else had this problem. Im scared to drive it but i have to someone please help. Thanks in advance!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1st off, welcome :)

What year and model cobalt? Mileage? Checked the oil lately?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should check your oil level. There are only 2 parts to be replaced if that CEL pops up, the ECU and the sensor. Sometimes the wiring is buggy too.

My money is on oil level. Go check it before you drive it next, wouldn't want to spin a rod bearing and toast the motor.

countrygirl197789

Reaction score
My oil could be making it jerk like that?

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:50 PM ----------

I didnt think oil could make it do that. Do you know what the p0010 code is?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
DTC P0010: Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit :chewie:

GM Service Manual said:
Circuit/System Verification
  1. Ensure the vehicle has the proper oil viscosity.
  2. Observe the engine oil level. The engine oil level should be within the operating range.
  3. Allow the engine to reach operating temperature.
  4. Increase the engine speed to 1,500 RPM.
  5. Command each CMP actuator to 25 percent. The CMP actuator angle desired parameter should match the CMP actuator actual parameter.
  6. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System Testing
  1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the CMP actuator solenoid harness connector at the CMP actuator solenoid.
  2. Test for less than 5 ohms between the low reference circuit terminal B and ground.
    ⇒⇒⇒ If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance.
  3. Verify that a test lamp does not illuminate between the low reference circuit terminal B and the control circuit terminal A.
    ⇒⇒⇒ If the test lamp illuminates, test the control circuit for short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
  4. Remove the test lamp.
  5. Command the CMP Actuator Sol. ON with a scan tool. Verify the scan tool CMP Sol Ckt Short Gnd Test status is OK.
    ⇒⇒⇒ If not the specified value, test the control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
  6. Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the control circuit terminal A and the low reference circuit terminal B. Command the CMP Actuator Sol. ON with a scan tool. Verify the scan tool CMP Sol Ckt Short Gnd Test status is Fault.
    ⇒⇒⇒ If not the specified value, test the control circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
  7. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the CMP actuator solenoid.
Component Testing
  1. Measure the resistance of each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly. Resistance should be between 8-12 ohms.
  2. Connect a jumper wire between the CMP actuator low reference circuit at the solenoid and a good ground. Connect a fused jumper wire to the CMP actuator high control circuit at the solenoid. Momentarily touch the fused jumper to B+. Observe the spool valve inside the CMP actuator. The spool valve should move from fully closed to fully opened position.

Being low on oil does a lot of bad things, jerking can be one of them. You the first owner?

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The ones on top of the motor are camshaft position actuators. The sensors are elsewhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup