HELP - Starting Issue

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you all can help me troubleshoot this as i'm still new to the details of the cobalt.

I started having starting issues.. There was 2 or 3 times I left my lights on and had to get jumped.. But then it started not starting even when I didn't leave the lights on.. like something was draining the battery. I would have someone jump it and it would be fine. It would even start 2 or 3 times after that when I made other stops.
I unplugged my aftermarket amp in case that was causing an issue.. no luck
I also took it to Autozone, they checked the battery and alternator.. both read fine.

So I have been leaving my battery charger / jump box on it to have it ready for when I needed to use the car.. But last night when I went to start it.. it wouldn't start.. it tries but then appears to run out of juice.. I hear the clicking of the starter. I tried to use the jump box.. same issue.. The jump box read about 11.6 volts.
I then took the box and hooked it up straight to the battery in the trunk. it read 12v. Tried to start.. no luck. I also note that the box usually says "RDY".. then after you try to crank it.. it would count down from 180 to let it re-charge before trying again.. this time.. it still said "RDY" like it didn't even try to draw the power.

To me its sounding like an electrical issue.. but i'm not sure if its something with the wires going from battery to the front.. fuses..

Anyone had a similar issue and know what can be causing it?

Thank you.

Car Details:
2010 LT Sedan (Auto)
Cold Air Intake
Lowered - Sportlines
Aftermarket Amplifier and 8" subwoofer

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you have 14.4v with the car on, and ~12v with it off? And you're sure the battery is good?

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have 14.4v with the car on, and ~12v with it off? And you're sure the battery is good?

I wasn't able to check it last time.. But it was 13.9 while running (a week ago) and 12 when off when hooked straight to battery..

Any ideas?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Battery and alt sound perfect if that's the case. Anything else that could be draining it?

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of.. That's why I'm needing advice.. I haven't modified the car much so don't think its something I did.. Wondering if its a common issue or been experienced before.

Any other ideas?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing that comes to mind is if you're leaving the interior lights on. Stock stereo?

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that comes to mind is if you're leaving the interior lights on. Stock stereo?

I would hope I would see the interior lights on in my garage... what worries me is that I wasn't even able to jump it with the Jump Box.. maybe i'll see if I can jump it with my wifes car...

Stock Radio.

Thank you for the questions and suggestions.. if you have anything I can test or other common issues that i may be related to, please let me know.
I am having the left door speaker issue, where it doesn't work sometimes.. so I don't hear the door chime.. (part of reason why i left my lights on the 2 or 3 times.. LOL )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso