Help with Misfires please

jan_mast

Reaction score
So I took the head off and changed the valves, springs, and head gasket.

Buttoned everything back up. Got a p0016 error. The car would start but the cam shaft sensor and crankshaft sensor didn't agree. Seems like a timing issue.

Took the valve cover back off. A mechanic buddy of mine came over and said I wasn't doing the timing right. To do the timing right we have to take off the engine front cover/timing cover so we can verify the colored link is on the correct tooth of the crankshaft sprocket. Got that done. All timing marks lined up. Locked it all into place. Buttoned it all back up by myself.

The car will start but sputters and dies again. No codes this time. If I step on the gas and really rev the RPM's it stays on but as soon as I take my foot off the gas it sputters and dies. Do I need to adjust the idle in some way? I do appreciate all the help.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The car should adjust its idle and mixtures automatically. You can try disconnecting the battery for half an hour to clear things out and then try starting her again.

Since you were able to start the car before doing the timing correctly,I would do a compression test to make sure you didn't bend any valves after buttoning it up the first time around.

jan_mast

Reaction score
I did try disconnecting the battery for awhile both times, no joy.

I will do the compression test, though I would think that if we did bend any valves wouldn't I have gotten misfires in some of the cylinders?

Also reading up on rough idle and dying at lower RPM's a lot of people said they corrected those types of problems by cleaning the throttle or MAF sensor. What do you think? I do appreciate your feedback and will re-run the compression test.

jan_mast

Reaction score
So I redid the compression test and it passed this time. So the vales/springs or head gasket solved the compression issue.

Then I was looking around and I saw a hose dangling. The connection had snapped off of somewhere. After more inspection I discovered a gaping hole in the side of the air intake manifold. That connection goes to the power brake booster I believe. So to test it I plugged the hole with my finger, the car starts and runs strong. As soon as I pull my finger off, it starts sucking wind and dies. So its a vacuum leak that's the issue. I ordered a new manifold and for the time being I inserted a male-to-male air fitting to plug the leak somewhat and it runs for now, until I get that new manifold installed.

Appreciate the help!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch, breaking that nipple off would certainly do it. Did you order the one for the 05-07 2.2? You could "upgrade" and go to the 2.4 manifold for roughly the same price.

If you bought the one for the 08-09 2.2 it's already the 2.4 manifold.

jan_mast

Reaction score
Hey bro I need your help again if possible.

So I get the new manifold in. Put it in place and start tightening up the bolts and nuts. I snapped off one of the studs that holds the air intake manifold on. Any idea about replacing that stud? I shouldn't have to take the head off again right? I believe those studs just thread in right!? Thanks man.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're talking about one of the bolts that holds the intake manifold to the head? Yeah I did that once. Had to drill it out, thread the hole with a larger size, then toss a helicoil in to the original diameter. You might get lucky and be able to get a bolt extractor to pull it out but I wouldn't bet on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup