Hesitation on start and fuel smell

J.D

Reaction score
Hi all. I've got an '05 Cobalt LS and recently it has begun to hesitate on start. It has a strong cranks and almost always starts after some hesitation. I have also noticed a fuel smell (fresh not burnt) on the back end. I don't think it's a mixture issue as it does not seem to be coming from the exhaust. I've heard others have had issues with bad fuel pumps, so perhaps that is it? I don't want to spend the money on that until I've ruled out other possibilities. Ideas?

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Update: Just went out to look at it and noticed a puddle of gas. I'm no mechanic, but I'd say that's probably the problem. Didn't get a chance to look under it yet.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if u noticed a puddle of gas then there is a leak. A leak means fuel won't get to your injectors. Means wonts start. Try to rule out where is coming from. Could be a fuel filter or busted tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I've got an '05 Cobalt LS and recently it has begun to hesitate on start. It has a strong cranks and almost always starts after some hesitation. I have also noticed a fuel smell (fresh not burnt) on the back end. I don't think it's a mixture issue as it does not seem to be coming from the exhaust. I've heard others have had issues with bad fuel pumps, so perhaps that is it? I don't want to spend the money on that until I've ruled out other possibilities. Ideas?

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Update: Just went out to look at it and noticed a puddle of gas. I'm no mechanic, but I'd say that's probably the problem. Didn't get a chance to look under it yet.

J.D.,
Sorry to hear you're having these issues with your Cobalt. Hopefully you're able to locate the problem area. Because I am not a certified mechanic, I am unable to diagnose. I am able to check to see if there any open recalls or special coverages that may be related to what you're experiencing. Also, are you planning to have your vehicle serviced at a GM/Chevy dealership or are doing your own work? I would be glad to schedule an appointment for service if you'd like.

If so, please private message me your first and last name and the last 8-digits of your VIN. Look forward to your response.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service

bluebaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J.D.,
Sorry to hear you're having these issues with your Cobalt. Hopefully you're able to locate the problem area. Because I am not a certified mechanic, I am unable to diagnose. I am able to check to see if there any open recalls or special coverages that may be related to what you're experiencing. Also, are you planning to have your vehicle serviced at a GM/Chevy dealership or are doing your own work? I would be glad to schedule an appointment for service if you'd like.

If so, please private message me your first and last name and the last 8-digits of your VIN. Look forward to your response.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service

i was smelling fuel im my LS, & then a short time later I got a recall notice about fuel delivery parts. got mine serviced & fuel smell went away...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitey75

Latest posts