High Temp Paint

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I picked up a can of black high temp paint for when I tear apart my exhaust this weekend. Anybody ever used it before? Any tips or how long to let it dry before I begin the on vehicle curing process?

dunit121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id let it dry for a good 24hrs b4 u run the car and make sure u get an appropriate clear coat

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a clear coat for it? I'm not real worried about the finish, is the clear really required?

dunit121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no but i just prefer clear coat because it glosses it alot more (high temp is very flat) and keeps the color there longer

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
no but i just prefer clear coat because it glosses it alot more (high temp is very flat) and keeps the color there longer

Not so worried about the flatness of the paint, I would actually prefer it to be flat so that works out for me.

---------- Post added at 05:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 AM ----------

i used it on some brake calipers but yellow, turned out great,

You sure it was exhaust parts paint? They make 2 different heat ratings, caliper and engine paint are around 500F, exhaust is like 2000F.

DaveBlank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy that used high temp paint on his atv exhaust and it didnt last one trip. I didnt know there was a difference in heat rating, he prob just used the engine/caliper paint.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a buddy that used high temp paint on his atv exhaust and it didnt last one trip. I didnt know there was a difference in heat rating, he prob just used the engine/caliper paint.

Might have also not followed the curing procedures correctly (run for so long, cool for so long, run again, cool again, etc.) before taking it on that trip.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup