How do you take off driver side door panel?

k_y86

Reaction score
Driver side window shattered and need to know how to take off driver side door panel. Any info would be appreciated and if there are any special tools I need to know about that would make the job easier or if it can be done with just simple hand tools. The vehicle is a 2007 cobalt LS 2 door coup.

wardzach2007

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I took this off of css.net

ok, here's how you take off the door panels...I'm an autoglass tech, and have already replaced 5 cobalt door windows within the last 2 weeks.

Tools needed:
Pocket flathead screwdriver
Philips head screwdriver(or drill bit+drill)
Door panel tool (Easily purchased for a few bucks at Autozone/PepBoys)

1.) Using your small flatehead screwdriver, remove the plastic covers from A-behind the Chrome handle, B-inside the compartment on the armrest behind the switches. Doing this will reveal three(3) screws.

2.) Using your Philips head screwdriver/bit, remove the aforementioned three(3) screws.

3.)Using your door panel tool, CAREFULLY lift the silver switch panel up, STARTING with the side to the rear of the door(back of the car). This is held by a clip, not to hard to pry up. The reason you want to start at this point is because the front of the panel is a clip the slides under the lip, so you don't want to break it. Unplug switches.

3.) Beginning at the lower left corner of the door panel, use your panel tool to CAREFULLY pry the panel off the body. If you do this correctly, you will hear a POP, this is one of the many pins popping out of it's housing, it's a good thing. Continue CAREFULLY around the perimeter of the door until all are released.

4.) CAREFULLY pop the tweeter pod from the frame, but DO NOT try to remove it from the door panel. It does not come off, just unplug the tweeter and you'll be fine.

5.) Lift the door panel until it comes free.

6.) Reach behind the panel from the top, and lift up on the black plastic clip that holds the wire to the door handle. It should lift up easily.

Door panel has been successfully removed. I cannot stress to you enough to be careful when doing this. Replacing door parts is not cheap, and this is no exception. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful!!!!!!!

Once you have done what you want to do, reverse the above steps, with a couple of twists.

Twist 1.) Door handle wire: Place the silver "bracket" at the end of the wire into the small hole on the bottom of the black housing. Once you clip it in from the bottom, it will make the re-attachment of the wire to the door handle much much easier.

Twist 2.)Lower the window all the way into the door before placing the panel back on, it makes doing so much easier as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup