How hard is it to install a keyless entry systen

Joe Tilghman

Reaction score
How hard are the system to install. the car does not have auto windows. What do I need to install a system and where do I get all of the needed parts??

Any help would be appreciated.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mmm id just assume its gonna be way better for you to have someone else too it for you

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
emperor is right. This is one of those things.. "if you have to ask"... I've seen people jerry rig some of these things up and some work well, some for a bit and others fry things. i'm not here to deter anyone though. To give a more semi-accurate response to how hard is it, do you have any experience in the automotive electronics field?

I found this post real quick from a google search. what i gather from this post this is only if you already have electronically actuated door locks but no remote entry. If you don't have that you'll need to figure a way to custom mount your own actuators and design your own wire schematic.

Some guy on teh interwebz said:
The keyless entry function would have to be programmed into the computer module when the car was produced. If the car wasn't equipped with keyless as an option when new, then you would have to purchase a new PCM and have it programmed to accept keyless entry. The PCM is kind of a one shot deal, it can't be reprogrammed to accept keyless entry.

The least expensive avenue for you to take would be to purchase an aftermarket keyless entry out of the JC Whitney catalog for $39.95 and install it yourself. This unit is very basic and will not honk the horn or flash the lights, but it is very reliable and will lock and unlock the car as well as 'pop' the trunk."

Last edited:

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ thats stupid of some guy on the interwebz. aftermarket is really the way to go but is it easy? no all of them are hard imo and again if you have to ask then... but yes a cobalt is harder then a 90s civic but not as hard as a mazda 3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso