I've Never Seen This Before! Sloppy Brake Rotor on Axle?

savatreatabvr

Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 LS and noticed a slight bounce in the front end. I checked tire pressure and I'm sure there are no flat spots on the tires.

What I did find is the holes in the rotor where the wheel studs fit threw seem to be to big, I can rotate the rotor clockwise and counter clockwise about a 1/16". If it's not supposed to be that way then while in motion wouldn't that make the tire, for the lack of better words, oblong? That would obviously make the front end have a slight bounce. I've owned many different vehicles and have never seen this before.

First pic shows the rotor turned counter clockwise.

Second pic shows the rotor turned clockwise.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That appears to be normal. So long as you can't lift the rotor or otherwise move it out of center on the hub, rotation is fine.

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal for a GM, keeps rotor way cheaper than some other designs. Makes replacing rotors easy and cheap. Once the lug nuts are tight there's no movement.

savatreatabvr

Reaction score
That appears to be normal. So long as you can't lift the rotor or otherwise move it out of center on the hub, rotation is fine.

Makes since, thanks for clearing that up. I thought that was why I had a slight hop on the right front but the new rotor I bought was the same gaps. Here's where it get's confusing, I put the new rotor on and the hop stopped. What I thought was the problem wasn't but something was wrong with the original rotor just don't know what.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Strange. Was it a hop always or just on braking?

Any chance the wheel or brake rotor wasn't seated flat on the hub?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup