Keep the Cobalt or Not?

Crystal0827

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt base model coupe with 105,000 miles on it, I had the oil changed and shortly after the car started acting up. I took it to Auto Zone and it threw 3 codes. I took the codes and the car to the shop and they are estimating about $1500.00 worth of work and parts....the major things he said he needs to be replaced rod in sterring wheel, throttle body assembly, and speed spensor in the transmission. I am being told by some it is not worth it to put $1500 into the car because it is going to be nothing but problems from here on out. Others are saying, do the work yourself or have the hubby do it. I honestly have no desire to attempt any work on the car and depending on the level of work I am not sure the hubby could do it either. How long do Cobalts normally last, can i get another 50K out of this car? Or should I save my money for a down payment on a newer car? Please Help!

white balt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The throttle body you can buy an aftermarket one and install yourself it is super easy.
As far as the steering goes is it the power steering motor or what?
Cuz power steering motor is on recall.

As for the transmission it should be a lot less if you get the rest of it done.

So check list buy a new throttle body, super easy install.
Check how-to section there might be a how to there.

If you haven't taken you car into the dealer for power steering recall they do it free.
All they do is check you vin and it tells them if it was done or not.

Transmission don't worry until you get everything else done.

[insert signature here]

NickLuce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep i agree with white balt these cobalts should last atlest 150 or 175 without problems with it taken care of real well. also on how you drive it i kept a 69 F-250 and 91 Chevy S-10 running for years lol but throdle body easy replace and i would check or call chevy give them the vin to check see if you have a recall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie