Key stuck in ignition 2005 Cobalt LT

acidcrashdburnd

Reaction score
Hey My Girlfriends car has the issue where the key gets stuck in the ignition I read on here that you can pop a cover off under the steering column and pop the key out like you could do in the older W-Body GMs but I can't figure it out on this car. I have attached a picture of the steering column. Her car is sitting at work I have here going out every few hours to run it for 5-8 minutes to charge the battery back up.
sorry the pic is so big but i figured it would be best to not resize so you could see all detail.

Thanks for all your help..

15zght0.jpg

FASTL61

Platinum Member
Reaction score
the panel you pop off is on the bottom of the column.then stick your finger in and theres a button to release it

reyesa21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this seems to be happening alot with cobalts. mine had this happen about 2 weeks ago and my a 09. got stuck in running and wouldnt turn either way so i took it to the delearshits and they replaced it. something broke inside of the ignition cylinder where you put the key

colby

Reaction score
My key gets stuck in the ignition often (after i have shut the car off, it wont release the key). I usually just jiggle the shifter and it releases the key.

Gcracka84

Reaction score
My girlfriends 06 Cobalt was doing this for the last 6 months. Just yesterday the button on the shifter stopped coming out all the way and I heard something metal sounding inside of the shifter handle fall. Now the shifter will not lock into park when I release the button and I cant get the key out. I think I'm gonna have to fid a shop because I dont have the time to fix this alone. Anyone dealt with this? What did you do?

sanataS666evA

Reaction score
Or u could be sure the shifter is completely in the park position. My 06 ls was doing this & I'd move shifter to drive, then to park & it'd release. Since then I make sure to firmly move shifter to park before letting off the break & trying to get my keys & never had the problem since. This is my experience.

Brit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is actually a recall on it. So it should be fixed at the place you got the car for no cost... mine did this also but took it to the dealership and was replace for nothing.

kblou

Reaction score
I know this post is older but I just wanted to say something.
I had this problem the other day. When I went to start my car, it wouldn't, the key would only turn from Accessories to start (basically, it was stuck in the ignition). It wouldn't make any noise and the power didn't work on anything (almost like the battery was dead). I was going to just lock it up & leave it there..so I locked the back doors, driver's side door, then passenger door manually. When I shut the front passenger door (with the driver's side door still open but locked), the car started up. It ended up resetting the time, but nothing else. My car is back to normal now. I don't know if this is just a one time case or what, but I figured I'd post in case it could help anyone else out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso