leak in output shaft seals

mhp8982

Reaction score
I have an 06 Chevy Cobalt. I took my car in to the dealer today to have new brake rotors and pads put on.. and they did an inspection. Everything was in great condition, except they called me and told me they did find a very small leak on both output shaft seals on the transmission. He told me about it, but then later told me they cleaned it and sprayed it off.. and it's not a "real" leak, just some moisture/condensation on it. I'm not sure what to make of this, the first time he talked to me.. he made it sound like a big deal, then the 2nd time I talked to him, he said it probably isn't a big deal unless you're gonna be putting 50-60k (of course we won't be) on it in the next couple of months. We are driving it on vacation twice over the next few months.. so we want to make sure it's okay to drive. It's $350 and I don't really want to put that out after putting $300 out for brakes, but I would rather do that, than the alternative of needing a new transmission. But because of money, I was hoping to be able to wait until at least July to fix it. Maybe longer! He told me in the 2nd phone call not to worry too much, and I asked him how we could watch it.. he said since we park it in a garge, to just watch for red fluid on the floor of the garage where the car was parked.. and as long as it's not leaking like that, we are fine. Even though he doesn't know how long it would take.. but he figured it would be okay. I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks?? I don't want our transmission to go out while we are in the middle of driving to Tennessee (March) or South Carolina(late July).

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys should be ok waiting until july, just make sure you check under the car every so often to make sure its not leaking more fluid., how many miles are on the car?

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
you should be okay. i hit an animal caused a crack in the transmission oil pan and a GM dealer was able to repair it via welding

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would think with only 55k on the car it should be fine, just make sure you don't run low on transmission fluid and keep an eye on the possible leak.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso