Loose wiring/short/or fuse issue?

JustMe

Reaction score
Im not really sure what kind of chevy cobalt i have.All i know is that it is a chevy cobalt 2010,4 door,5 speed standard,4 cylinder.I know NOTHING about cars..lol
Anyway,i just bought this car a couple of months ago and i noticed right off that the back speakers were only working,the blinker/signal lights (sound) was not working,and the windshield wipers would suddenly speed up on their own when set on a particular setting.
Sometimes the front speakers will just come on,and when they do,the sound to my signal lights will come on too.They will work untill i shut the car off and then wont come back on again till they decide to..lol
When they are on,the speakers dont seem to cut out or the sound does not come on and off while im driving.I would think if there was a short in the wiring,the sound of the speakers and signal lights would cut in and out.But they dont.they only go off when i shut the car off.
I checked all the fuses inside the car.Nothing was blown.I didnt find anything under the hood either.Is baffaling to me.Maybe a ground wire is loose that connects them all? i have no idea.Hope to figure this out without costing me alot of money. thankyou

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a wire loose behind the stereo. Have an aftermarket radio?

JustMe

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a wire loose behind the stereo. Have an aftermarket radio?

Its a factory built in stereo.I also noticed today that when the stereo comes on that its not just the sound of the blinker that comes on also,but the seatbelt sound when your not wearing a seatbelt,the door ajar sound,when i turn the key on sound,..basically everything that comes on with sound is effectd.

JustMe

Reaction score
so from looking around,i found that im not the only one with this problem with this make and model of car.Seems the issue is either a short or loose wiring on the drivers side speaker.Frfom what i read,that is where all the sounds come from for the blinker/seatbelt..etc.I then looked up how to take off the door panel to check it.seems easy enough.Hoping its just a loose wire and not a short.I think trying to trace back a short would be something i couldnt do.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, everything comes through that one speaker for driver notification sounds. Could be a bad wire in the door hinge, bad speaker, or an intermittent wire anywhere in between.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuck558s

Latest posts