missfire

tooo_much_fun

Reaction score
I have a 2009 cobalt ss/tc and have done a few mods to it, and after a few months it has started to missfire and backfire when I hit 4800 rpm in second gear only. I am thinking it may be the dumb down on the car kicking my butt for the mods and not doing a tune yet. I have put on Injen cold air intake, intercooler piping, and a Megan catless downpipe. Anyone have any guesses as to what may be causing this? I have already checked all the piping clamps for leaks and my air filter is clean.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cold air intake is skewing your MAF readings which is messing up your fuel trims. Get tuned or remove the intake.

Also when did you change plugs last? Make sure you use the stock NGK ILTR5D plug unless you are pushing more than 50 hp more than stock, even then NGK or die.

tooo_much_fun

Reaction score
Just changed plugs last week to NGK's. Has to be the tune then. Thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the info guys.
Mike

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fuel trims for sure then. Get tuned or back to stock air box.

tooo_much_fun

Reaction score
Okay, I got a trifecta tune and my car is still miss firing after I hit 4200RPM in second and now third. I have no clue what is going on with this thing. I have checked all the piping for leaks, TB is clean, I have new NKG plugs in it. Can anyone help?????

tooo_much_fun

Reaction score
I went and had the codes checked and it said random misfire in cylenders 2 and 3, and purge valve low flow. I was told there may be a problem with the ECU. Anyone got an ideas on it?

Drumrush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard that the injens on the ss/tc are hard to tune for because of the MAF position

tooo_much_fun

Reaction score
Okay. I put the stock airbox and the stock downpipe back on and the car still misfires with the tune on or off when it's under a load. It only misfires between 4000 - 5000RPM in 2nd and 3rd gear. Idles perfect and drives perfect. Not sure what else it could be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie