Need help asap! About decks.

NeedCobaltHelp

Reaction score
hello. I have a 2005 Cobalt Ls i think. Anyways, I have bought a kit that comes with a Sony deck and Xplode speakers. I have not yet installed it. While hanging with my friend, his friend mentioned that you cannot install a deck in the car because it will fry something on the car. Is this true? Don't want to have to spend alot of money to fix something. I was planning on just getting this kit, getting a GM adapter thing for the wires, antenna wire, and just hook it all up. Please, I'm really hoping he is wrong. If he is wrong or right, any tips to prevent it. OH! and is there somewhere that shows what the color wires mean to match them for the deck? Thanks guys.

NeedCobaltHelp

Reaction score
Which way is the right way? Im not very experienced as of because i have only done 1 1/2 install's. But uh, again, about the part of matching wires. Does the Gm wire harness come with something telling me which wires mean what?

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
ill have to let the electrical guys chime in i know more about installing performance parts.

RedDead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U will need a wiring harness....dash kit.....and an ant. Adapter.......the wiring harness doesn't say what goes to what but it is a simple matching of the colors.....u will need butt connectors for this....expose the wires and connect with the butt connector it is real easy blue goes to blue....white with black stripe connects to white with black stripe and so on and so forth....

NeedCobaltHelp

Reaction score
From my last 2 previous installs the color normally didn't always match. Yes, I know about the harness, dash kit, and ant, but just to be sure, I don't need one of those 50$ chime modules do I? Oh and like I said in the first post, While hanging with my friend, his friend mentioned that you cannot install a deck in the car because it will fry something on the car. Is that true?

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

OH! and I forgot, is there a tutorial on how to take the door panels off and how to take the dash apart to put speakers and the deck in. Because I'm not really sure.

RedDead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U don't need the $50 dollar one if u dont want the door chimes......the wires should match up and the only way you are gonna fry somethin is if you don't match up the wires.....say u put a yellow on a green lol as far as the how tos........not sure?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MizzMandiPand