need help with Headunit install

Mrslice2004

Reaction score
So, i went to bestbuy, and i was lookin at getting a Pioneer deck, well one of their goones decided to ask what car i was putting it in, and after explaining i have a stock 2005 chevy cobalt. no onstar or anything, but he was telling me i would need the 150 dollar adapter, Is that true? or can i go with the cheapy 20 dollar one from schosche? any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Matt

Wisenos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you believe everyone you won't go anywhere lol...)
simply buy a dash install kit (usually around 40-50$)
and a harness adaptor (around 20-30$ - and iirc wich is usually included in the install kit)

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
that 150 dollar adapter will allow you to keep the functions of the button on the steering wheel, if you dont care than that cheap 20 dollar one might work dont know what that cheap one is tho

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
the cheap harness you loose all your "dings" like when your door is open, or your blinker.. prettty much any sound notification your car gives you goes bye bye

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also as an added fyi you will lose the retained accessory power or rap if its equipped. I did an install on an 08 cobalt and I also ran into an issue where the ign power was lost when the turn signals went off and that was with the expensive harness. The el cheapo one works just use a bussman bp/hhh fuse tap if you need keyed power for the deck.

Mrslice2004

Reaction score
hrmm, thanks for the help guys, ill have to decide which harness to go with then lol. sounds like there are drawbacks with each one. lol

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
also as an added fyi you will lose the retained accessory power or rap if its equipped. I did an install on an 08 cobalt and I also ran into an issue where the ign power was lost when the turn signals went off and that was with the expensive harness. The el cheapo one works just use a bussman bp/hhh fuse tap if you need keyed power for the deck.

i didnt loose my accessory power?

Mrslice2004

Reaction score
OK, so for those of us with stock base model 2005 Cobalts the Metra 70-2202 Harness does NOT connect to your wiring harness. I had to get the 70-2103 harness instead and hook up the red to my accessory in the ignition, But alas i now have a new headunit in mah car! next is subs! then ill get ya guys some pics!

(btw) if your goin to go the 2103 way, i believe the Accessory connector is green, and Use the Brown wire going into the connector. and splice it. Took me forever to figure out which wire was which.

Oh, and another thing, I literally DROVE without my stereo connected, To car toys, and i had Blinker chimes, Door chimes the whole nine yards... so i dont know why everyone is talking about loosing Door chimes and such... might only be on the Pre-amp'd Cars... not sure. And i still have Door chimes, and blinker indicators and all that even with the new 30 dollar metra harness installed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup