Need opinions...

LtCdrFlygirl

Reaction score
My 06 Cobalt LT sedan is currently not running. Theories are a cracked head gasket. I cannot afford a mechanic, but luckily my brother in law is knowledgeable and handy with fixing cars and offered to look into fixing it for me. However, he is always busy doing whatever and never seems to have time to even look at it. I am soooo beyond aggravated right now. But anyway, my dillema is to wait until he has time to fix it or just sell it for parts or whatever and move on.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you should learn how to diagnose your issue. What sort of issue(s) is it having?

LtCdrFlygirl

Reaction score
Well, it won't start, and there's oil is mixed in the radiator. Also, white smoke from the exhaust. Check Engine light is on. I need to pull the spark plugs and check them for oil as well. I read this is a commom issue with this model car, and pricey to fix if taken to a mechanic. And nobody recommends doing it yourself if you're just a amatuer mechanic, which is me, basically. So I'm on the fence...fix it or forget it.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yeah, that does sound like a headgasket. Couldn't hurt to call around and find out how much it'll be from a shop.

LtCdrFlygirl

Reaction score
Lol...did that. I'm looking at up to around $3000 (most of that being labor...of course) to have it fixed. There is no way I can afford this. I would do myself however I was advised this was not a good idea for a 'amatuer mechanic'. So now I just need to figure out if I want to keep it and try to get fixed or just sell it and move on.

LtCdrFlygirl

Reaction score
Update: pulled spark plugs and they are fine. Probably need to be changed soon though but that's another issue. We are thinking it's a bad fuel pump, which is why it won't start...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup