New Member, looking at buying a Used Cobalt..info wanted

Chevy_Guy_Jay

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls..

As the title states, I am a new member here, but do not yet have a Cobalt. I have joined your forum, looking to seek some information.

If I was to go look at a Cobalt, likely an 06 or so, what are some "common" things or problems that I should be looking for?

I would be looking for a slushbox, 4 door, not sure on a trim model yet...really I dont think that matters to me, as along as the girlfriend likes it.

Is the 2.2L Ecotec the base motor in these? What are these things getting for milage on average?

Jay

Last edited:

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first off, we aren't guys AS girls..were just guys AND girls..just sayin.

as far as the common problems, mostly just look for problems with the power steering, GM had a recall on it but i havent had a problem yet. and a few guys around here and myself have has some problems with the throttle body but its all right now.

trim models all depend on how much you want to spend. my 06 sedan 2.2w base model was an even $5k with a trade-in, so $7k total. it will get higher the nicer trim you get.

there is an ecotec 2.2 motor in the base models and in not sure about ss and up. my balt gets around 25 mpg highway and city but thats with my fart can. it was getting around 32 mpg both before that. yeah cobalts are great sleeper cars. people think they arent fast and may not look fast but when you start off the line with mods and tunes then you can blow them away..given you are racing another inline-4 :D lol

hope thios helped. its just my opinion on things.

Chevy_Guy_Jay

Reaction score
Right on. What kind of TB issues were you having? Bad TB Gasket or gumming up? Also, on the rack, just leaks or what? Im not afraid of having to turn a couple wrench's to make the thing road worthy if need be, im a Mechanic by trade...Farm Equipment Mechanic, but have lots of Auto Mechanics experiance in both a Chain Garage and Lexus Dealership...

Jay

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uh just a problem with the TB not opening up all the way so it wasnt getting enough air but it was just stuck a little and i loosened it up and works great now. not sure what you're talking about with the rack..please explain.

Chevy_Guy_Jay

Reaction score
Sorry, you said some guys were having Power Steering issues....I assumed its a rack issue.. I have replaced a fair amount of Steering racks in my days working at the garage.

Jay

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh not sure because mine hasnt had any problems with it, yet. if you want, just google about power steering recalls and it should tell you about whats wrong with it.

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, you said some guys were having Power Steering issues....I assumed its a rack issue.. I have replaced a fair amount of Steering racks in my days working at the garage.

Jay

The problem is in the electric power steering assist. these cars don't have a hydraulic power steering pump.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

btw welcome to the party jay.

first off, we aren't guys AS girls..were just guys AND girls..just sayin.

as far as the common problems, mostly just look for problems with the power steering, GM had a recall on it but i havent had a problem yet. and a few guys around here and myself have has some problems with the throttle body but its all right now.

trim models all depend on how much you want to spend. my 06 sedan 2.2w base model was an even $5k with a trade-in, so $7k total. it will get higher the nicer trim you get.

there is an ecotec 2.2 motor in the base models and in not sure about ss and up. my balt gets around 25 mpg highway and city but thats with my fart can. it was getting around 32 mpg both before that. yeah cobalts are great sleeper cars. people think they arent fast and may not look fast but when you start off the line with mods and tunes then you can blow them away..given you are racing another inline-4 :D lol

hope thios helped. its just my opinion on things.

those who live in glass houses shalt not cast thee first stone. :chicken:

Last edited:

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yo im just tryin to help him with the imput i know of...dont hammer me on things i might not entirely know about and so what if i have a few typos..NO ONES PERFECT....

CFCobalt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lmao.....ya'll are funny.....

and welcome jay...good luck with whatever you decide to go with

Chevy_Guy_Jay

Reaction score
Thanks guys...
Like I said before, just kind of kicking the idea around at the moment, not too sure what im going to do...I would like to stay GM for sure.

So what exactly was the issue with the Electronic Power Steering issue? Was it a control module or a steering torque sensor or something?

Jay

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup

Latest posts