NO START -Theft Light On

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so finally after 7 years the Balt died on me , like literally !! was driving and went over a bump and all of a sudden car just powers right off everything dead, and THEFT light is on Solid now whenever key is in and turned to the ON position, whenever i try crank it all i can hear is the relays click and the THEFT light turns on solid , this sucks man , i installed a remote start years ago which splices into the main power wire of the Theft key ring module which i wish i hadnt have done now, i jumped the crank relay and starter cranks but no start, when u put the key in the ON position the THEFT Light comes on and then goes off for a milisecond and then comes right back on SOLID , i checked all associated fuses all good, checked all connectors all good, so instead of starting to throw a bunch of parts and modules at it i took it into the nearest chevy dealership , SO far they said i needed to replace the main steering wheel coloum harness because of all the splices in it from the remote start, :gr_guns: which i knew they would say, this sucks because this car is my work car to and from Mc murray being a mechanic myself i am totally stumped on this one any one had any concerns like this ???

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I say one of your splices is bad or your alarm box needs to do a key relearn.

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya its really hard to say at this point and from what i hear these chevy Antitheft systems are known to give ppl these issues average life span 5-7 years being this the 8th year makes sense , one of my buddys is actually a chevy tech and i asked him about the key re learn procedure he said its unlikely cuz usually thats only performed when a new components is installed like a key or antitheft module or anything else associated, God i just really want my car fixed and running soon im guessing its an anti theft module, i dont dissagree with the technician either for wanting to replace the steering colum wiring harness that is all hacked up lol Im never putting a remote starter in it again!!!

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

I mean cmon those stupid bypass modules for remote starts !! have u cut your main power wire of your Anti theft module in two and wire it in series with the bypass so basically if you lose function of your remote start system your car is innoperative....poor design never again

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That bump clearly jarred something loose, be it a wire or the box itself.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I read everything over. Sucks to hear that. Def check the wiring over really

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya definitly something didnt like that bump hopefully its just a loose ground im thinking possibly a bad BCM !!!!!!! anyways its really out of my hands now there is nothing more i can do as a technician myself without proper manuals and tools , its in the chevy dealership a new Steering colum wiring harness is ordered and to be installed before going any further so far i am at 1000$ already !!! ill keep u guys updated

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

im not sure if messing around and splicing into the theft wiring for the remote start bypass had anything to do with it but if any lessons are learned here its not to ever mess with your Anti theft never again!!!! ill start the car with a dam spare key from now on

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

I say one of your splices is bad or your alarm box needs to do a key relearn.

everyone of my solders i do are Solid ive been doing wiring for almost 7 years now all my spices are always 110% however i dont really do soldering much now days , anyways ya the harness is getting replaced all together

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another thing tho is , once u cut and splice together a wire in so many places could possibly create a High Resistance ?? could be a possibility

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Soldering wire increases the resistance a little. I doubt that's the cause.

What year and trim? I'll pull up my service book.

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool u got access to Chevy manuals?? All I have is ALLDATA but ya u 06 cobalt LS 2.2L

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a virtual machine on my computer that has 1980-2009 GM vehicles. It was pricey but totally worth it.

Have you scanned it for codes yet?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie