Overheating! Help!

miaaa

Reaction score
2009 cobalt lt

My car started to show signs of overheating on thursday but yesterday (friday) It wasnt possible to drive it any longer. I was on the highway and i had to pull over to let it cool down.

It started out by jerking super hard into different gears than the temp would jump to like 210 max. I opened the hood and noticed theres coolant in my car..... but my fan isnt working. All my fuses are working. My heat and A/C work. I havent noticed anything leaking. My friends dad did some looking around at it earlier today but couldnt do much to help me. He mentioned he reset something and we took it for a test drive and it didnt overheat. I did a test on my own by driving it home. It got up to about 183 than jumped to 194. it would go up and down from 178-190. it only got up to 194/196 twice in the 15 minute drive. When i parked my car i didnt hear the fan still.

Whats going on?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No idea what's causing it to hit 210 or what was reset. But if you turn on the A/C your radiator fans will kick on regardless of coolant temperature. 210 isn't an unreasonable temperature if it's hot out, the fans kick on around 215 I think.

What signs of overheating are you seeing?

Last edited:

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 cobalt lt

My car started to show signs of overheating on thursday but yesterday (friday) It wasnt possible to drive it any longer. I was on the highway and i had to pull over to let it cool down.

It started out by jerking super hard into different gears than the temp would jump to like 210 max. I opened the hood and noticed theres coolant in my car..... but my fan isnt working. All my fuses are working. My heat and A/C work. I havent noticed anything leaking. My friends dad did some looking around at it earlier today but couldnt do much to help me. He mentioned he reset something and we took it for a test drive and it didnt overheat. I did a test on my own by driving it home. It got up to about 183 than jumped to 194. it would go up and down from 178-190. it only got up to 194/196 twice in the 15 minute drive. When i parked my car i didnt hear the fan still.

Whats going on?

Hi miaaa,

I’m very sorry to learn that your car is showing signs of overheating, and that it jerks into different gears before the temperature goes up. Have you since been able to get in contact with your dealership regarding this heating concern? I would be more than happy to research this concern further and get in touch with them on your behalf. If interested, please feel free to send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact info and the name of your preferred local dealership.

Best regards,

Shane M.
GM Customer Care

damondlt

Reaction score
A cars thermostat doesn't open until 195. So it's not uncommon to see temp around 185-210.
It really shouldn't go over 210, unless is over 100 degrees outside.
And even then you shouldn't be more that 210. If you are going past 220, you better find out why.

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Sounds like not a cooling issue ,but some other issue. Like Trans, or even like a sensor of some type. Did a check engine light come on?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup