P0010 Code - 2.4

Discussion in '2.4: LE5' started by CobaltCraig, Feb 28, 2015.

1. CobaltCraig

CobaltCraig Junior Member

I've read the other threads concerning this error code but none deal with my specific engine and all seem to give varying solutions.

I have an 08 Sport with the naturally aspirated 2.4L, ~80,000 miles. My check engine light came on shortly after a 700 mile road trip. It read 60% oil life and the engine seemed to run like normal. By the time I got the code reader in the mail the check engine light went away. If cam back on a few days later and these codes came up:

P0010 PD Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction

P0010 Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction

P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

The check engine light goes on and off periodically which is what is weird to me. Also how the one has "PD" as the only difference.

2. YelloEye

YelloEye Super Moderator Staff Member

Your actuator solenoid is going out. Figure out if that's intake or exhaust and replace it.

3. CobaltCraig

Any direction trying to figure out which one exactly?

4. YelloEye

To trigger the P0010 it's the intake actuator or associated wiring. When I got this I replaced the intake side and was good.

5. CobaltCraig

I went ahead and replaced both. Although another problem popped up. As I was tightening the bolt for the intake sensor it twisted off, certainly not the brightest thing I've ever done........ I've never dealt with a twisted off bolt head in this certain spot. I know you can get left handed drill bits and drill it out but I worry about metal shavings getting into the engine, that is if that bolt goes all the way through the intake. I thought it did. If so I would imagine you take the intake off to safely drill out the bolt which at that point I'll take it to a mechanic. Just thinking out loud here. Suggestions will be appreciated.

6. YelloEye

I don't recall how deep that bolt goes. You only need a dimple and then a screw extractor.