please help me decide what to fix and when

rnixon

Reaction score
hi there gentle forum goers. my name is ryan and I am here because I am seeking advice from people who are not as biased as my gm dealer and are probably much more knowledgable about this technical stuff than I am.

My cobalt was purchased used in Feb 0f 2008, 3 year lease. the car had 23,000 km on it already, and the price was 16,300 + 1,620 buyout at the end of the lease.

I have gotten the car up to less than 42,000 km. I dont drive it often or far, it seems to handle and act the same as the day I bought it, ( except for a small clunk noise when I go over speed bumbs, or uneven roads )
i took it in for a semi annual inspection ( first one i have done in 2.5 years OOPS! )
-front end both frt stabilizer links to be loose
-rf strut leaking
both lower control arm bushings to be separated and control arms touching the frame
-rear brake shoes have 6mm
-front brake pads have 8mm

these are the problems they found with my vehicle, can anyone tell me what is the most important things to get fixed first ? the estimate was 2,118.90 and I dont have that all so I was wondering what \I should focus on getting fixed first..
thank you for reading

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi there gentle forum goers. my name is ryan and I am here because I am seeking advice from people who are not as biased as my gm dealer and are probably much more knowledgable about this technical stuff than I am.

My cobalt was purchased used in Feb 0f 2008, 3 year lease. the car had 23,000 km on it already, and the price was 16,300 + 1,620 buyout at the end of the lease.

I have gotten the car up to less than 42,000 km. I dont drive it often or far, it seems to handle and act the same as the day I bought it, ( except for a small clunk noise when I go over speed bumbs, or uneven roads )
i took it in for a semi annual inspection ( first one i have done in 2.5 years OOPS! )
-front end both frt stabilizer links to be loose
-rf strut leaking
both lower control arm bushings to be separated and control arms touching the frame
-rear brake shoes have 6mm
-front brake pads have 8mm

these are the problems they found with my vehicle, can anyone tell me what is the most important things to get fixed first ? the estimate was 2,118.90 and I dont have that all so I was wondering what \I should focus on getting fixed first..
thank you for reading

Do the work yourself and you'll save a considerable amount. Aside from the brake pads, none of them are really NECESSARY to be fixed... but it'll certainly smooth things out.

-Front Stabilizer Links: $28/ea (FE5 Sway Bar End Links - this will take care of the clunk when going over bumps, etc.)

-Front Struts (both should be replaced): $84/ea (LH Strut - RH Strut These are struts off of the SS model, so they'll handle better and be a bit stiffer. Probably be wise to put FE5 Shocks in the rear as well... but not necessary Complete FE5 Strut/Shock Kit)

-Front Control Arm Bushings (Replace whole Control Arm): $240 (LH LCA - RH LCA)

-Front Brake Pads: $88 (Front Non-SS Brake Pads)

Somehow, I find it hard to believe that your Rear Shoes are already in need of replacement, though.

Total: $552... do the work yourself and you'll save a ton of money.

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do the work yourself and you'll save a considerable amount. Aside from the brake pads, none of them are really NECESSARY to be fixed... but it'll certainly smooth things out.

-Front Stabilizer Links: $28/ea (FE5 Sway Bar End Links - this will take care of the clunk when going over bumps, etc.)

-Front Struts (both should be replaced): $84/ea (LH Strut - RH Strut These are struts off of the SS model, so they'll handle better and be a bit stiffer. Probably be wise to put FE5 Shocks in the rear as well... but not necessary Complete FE5 Strut/Shock Kit)

-Front Control Arm Bushings (Replace whole Control Arm): $240 (LH LCA - RH LCA)

-Front Brake Pads: $88 (Front Non-SS Brake Pads)

Somehow, I find it hard to believe that your Rear Shoes are already in need of replacement, though.

Total: $552... do the work yourself and you'll save a ton of money.

couldnt ask for better advice

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
true, but thats alot more effort than typing " couldnt ask for better advice" and hitting Alt + S

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup