Plug SC silencer holes

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Start off by taking a 15mm wrench and slowly depress the belt tensioner. You need to do this slowly to allow the small shock absorber to compress. If you go too fast or push too hard then the tiny piece of metal on the tensioner will round off.
NOTE: I later found out that it is actually easier to use a small pair of vice grips.
dscn2565.jpg

Next remove all obvious electrical connections and the 4 bolts that hold the SC on. You will need to use a long HEX socket bit for those. The one on the top left is the hardest to get to because of the fuel rail. If you have a sturdy T handle and a strong wrist you can take it off with that too they arent torqued down very tight.
dscn2567.jpg

Lift the blower off the intake manifold and remove the connection for the throttle body. You need to take the small grey clip out before you can remove the plug. Then cover all areas that you dont want critters to get in. I used 3m painters tape.
dscn2568.jpg

This is optional but reccomended. Take a small hex key and remove the SC oil drain plug. Tip the SC upside down and rock it back and forth until the 3.4oz of oil comes out. I'd like to thank Holiday Inn for the use of their cups :cssNET: This will also help avoid and surpise messes should you screw up the next step.
dscn2570.jpg

New oil VS oil with 35000 miles on it. Stage 2 for 20000 miles.
dscn2578.jpg

Then remove the black bolts holding the main housing from the rotor housing. CAREFULLY pry the two apart. My massive german finger is pointing where you should pry. If you should happen to separate the other piece all the SC oil will dump out. Then slide the rotors out slowly and place in a safe spot where it wont fall down and spill oil all over the carpet. A wobbly table is a bad place.... Whoops . :red:
dscn2573.jpg

If you are feeling lucky you can just score up the area where the quicksteel will be with some sandpaper and or scratch it with a small pick. I took a dremel tool and beveled the inside of the silencer holes so that he plugs would never fall out. After that cover the holes with tape. Then knead (just like dough) the quicksteel into the hole. Press your index finger on the rotor side and knead the quicksteel in with your other hand on the manifold side. Make sure that the rotor side matches the contour of the housing and is as smooth as possible. After the Quicksteel has set (10 min) you can sand it down if you need to. Before sliding the rotors back in clean the blower out with a can of brake cleaner. But be careful to only spray it through the throttle body side. That stuff will dissolve the grease in the bearings!
dscn2577.jpg

Wait an hour for the Quicksteel to fully cure before reinstalling SC. Fill the SC up with oil while waiting for it to cure. 3.4 oz of oil ONLY. Reinstall the SC and enjoy the new whine! Oh yeah it boosts a little faster too but who cares about that? MORE WHINE FTW!

Another note. Before using a dremel tool or sanding it is wise to cover the small grease covered roller bearings with some tape. Getting small metal pieces in there would be bad mmmmkay?

rukkee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good How to. I always wanted to do this when i had my SS/SC but never made the time .

Jn2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it to mine b4 it went on...great mod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie