radiator fan question

mcobalt

Banned
Reaction score
Dear all,
My engine light came on, radiator fan is not working. (I checked it by turning on A/C as it is suggested on this forum). I am completely new to cars, but I looked under the hood and figured out that one of the connectors (red one on the attached picture) is unplugged. Can anybody tell me where it is supposed to be connected?

I do not have much money to repair it right now and I am still using the car for city driving, coolant T is always not more than 192F. How do you think it is safe to drive with above problem or I must send it to shop immediatelly.

Thank you.
Max

http://i51.tinypic.com/ve5fki.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

sorry, forgot to mention that this is Cobalt LS 2008 model

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The fans dont kick on normally until ~221*F so you should be fine as long as the car doesnt get up higher than that without the fans, sitting in traffic will do that. I'll have a look at mine today to see if I can spot that connector, mine is an 09 SS but just the same it should have that connector.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

That plugs into the fan itself, feel around in the center of the fan there should be a place to plug that in. Mine was on the bottom driver side of the fan's center motor.

mkouza

Reaction score
Thank you, guys , I found and plugged it, but without success. Problem remains the same, the fan is not working and engine light is on (I guess because of the fan. right?) What can you recommend to do next to fix it?

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
go to autozone and get the code read. they do it for free it may not be the fan. the fan wont kick in until 223 degrees.

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, guys , I found and plugged it, but without success. Problem remains the same, the fan is not working and engine light is on (I guess because of the fan. right?) What can you recommend to do next to fix it?

I'm curious as to why your response came from a different username. Haha.

mkouza

Reaction score
thank you for your replies

2 USMCFieldMP: sorry, I registered twice by mistake.

guys from Autozone just checked the car.
"Troubleshooting P0480
definition : Cooling fan primary circuit condition
explanation: the engine cooling fan relay circuit is monitored for opens and shorts
probable cause:
- Cooling fan relay defective
- Check connector and wiring

It seems there are not other problems except the cooling problem
I am going to drive for a while with this problem. When I drive on highway T is around 190F, maximum T I got was 200-205F in the traffic.

does anyone have idea how much repair can cost?

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... have you checked the Fan's fuse(s)? What about the Relay? Those are both VERY cheap parts... and also a good place to start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie