radio

jab6021992

Reaction score
i have an 06 cobalt coupe what would i have to do to install a new head unit in it what kind of harness would i have to get to so it does screw with my security and lights and all that stuff

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on what you have for factory options, do you have onstar and the upgraded sound system or just the base stock crap in the car already. If you opt for the expensive adapters then you will retain all the factory stuff (onstar, door chimes, etc.) but if you opt for the cheaper one then you will lose the door chimes and retained accessory power, the el cheapo harness will only work with the bone stock sound system with no onstar though.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the cheap harness will work regardless but you would loose onstar. but the way to retain onstar is complicated there's no "easy" way to do it in the older cars.

71-2103
xsvi-2103

are the two to look at. the only difference is the expensive one gives you acc the cheap one u have to run your own

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the cheap one will not work on the pioneer stock amplified sound system as it does not turn the amp on, the amp is turned on via a canbus setup and not a remote wire in the 2006 if I remember correctly.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope its the simple remote wire the metra harness has it all setup for you so its simple color wire to wire other then the red acc.... the only disadvantage is you get high level instead of the rca line level. but the xsvi doesn't do line level for you either so unless you get creative and wire in rcas just gotta live with it...

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really I was told outright that it ran off canbus and needed the expensive adapter to work, interesting

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope. i have an 06 and i just used the cheap metra harness ever since i replaced the radio the first time... i say used because even thou i still have it the only wire i actually have connected to the radio is the constant so it doesn't really count anymore

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso