Random Airbag Deployment

blue

Reaction score
I hope I can get some help:

A month ago I hydroplaned and had my car repaired at a local shop. After getting the car back I could smell burning plastic/wire outside my car from under the hood. I wasn't able to call them back because of my crazy hours from work and school nor could I stop by, so the mechanic says I can't prove it has anything to do with the repair. Then about 4 days ago my airbag randomly deploys as I turn into a parking lot. I didn't hit anything nor did I run over anything. When I took it back to my mechanic he claimed it has nothing to do with the repair and the dealer says that they aren't at fault either because it's not under warranty.

My issue- I have been in a rental car for 4 days paying $20 a day that I don't have. The car's cost to repair is $1600 and no one is claiming it as their fault. What am I suppose to do?

Details on the car: Chevy Cobalt 2005 - has had problems with it's wires grounding out less than a year ago that I took back to the dealer to have repaired that was affecting my whole stereo system. Before I got my car in 2005, an airbag was replaced that I was never told about. Then about a year after I got the car there was another recall for the airbag and it was replaced again. There is a recall now on the power steering. Car has just been paid off.

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya my car had the same recalls . what kinda damage did the guy repair . anything to do with the airbag ? where is your car now . bring to a shop and see if they can tell you why it went off .

blue

Reaction score
It's at the original shop and the guy never repaired anything related to the airbag. He replaced a mud flap and plugged my emergency brake back in since the wire came loose... this is what he told me he did.

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nothing in the front bumper like where the airbag crap is ? mabey it has nothing to do with him then ...... they dont know what set it off ?

blue

Reaction score
They say that something burnt through something and set it off. I'm calling back for more details today about what they checked and a list of things that were repaired.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup