Riko540: Cobalt 2.4L turbocharge build

riko540

Reaction score
Ok first off I'd like say hello all. Now I haven't started this build but I getting ready to start collecting the parts. I'll warn you now I have very little mechanical knowledge. I can do some things but there is alot I don't know especially when it comes to cars so all help is appreciated. My goal is 275+ HP using:

• ZZP's stage 1 turbo kit w/ upgraded injectors

• Custom grind camshafts

• lower compression pistons

• Forged Connecting Rods

• MRZ lightweight underdrive and alternator pullies (not sure if this will work or not)

• SLP Loudmouth II cat-back exhaust

• Downpipe (not sure what brand yet)

• Auto trans cooler

• A hell of a good tune

Now things I'm not sure about are what compression I should use and what kind of grind I will need for the camshaft. Also I may have to port the heads but I'm not 100% on that. I have this crazy idea to make my goal only using ZZP's stage one. Although I have a funny feeling that I may need to go with their stage 2 I really want to try to stick with stage 1 for now. I add to this post as I start.

Last edited:

Zdeuce4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u need to have a fmic or at least a heat exchanger if ur planning on running that much power...

and for the record, u could prolly hit that power level with their stage 2 without even trying too hard.

are u auto or manual

elecblue06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My goal is 275+ HP using:

• ZZP's stage 2 turbo kit at 10 psi (with upgraded injectors)

• lightly ported head (not needed but it'll help)

• clutch(if manual)

• 3" catback

• A hell of a good tune

fixed.. and are you looking for wheel hp or just crank hp

riko540

Reaction score
No I'm an auto and I hoping for 275 at the wheels but hell if I get close like 265-270 I won't complain. I know I could go beyond my goal just by installing stage 2 IIRC ZZP got close to 300 HP at the wheels with just Stage 2. But I have this crazy idea of trying to reach my goal only using stage 1. I can always upgrade to stage 2 if I feel the need for more power. :hahano: But for now I feel that 5 psi should be plenty.

I completely forgot that I'm going to upgrade the exhaust while I'm at it. :rofl: I think that SLP's dual exhaust should sound very nice with a turbo. What do you guys think?

BlackCobalt707

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might wanna try either 9.5:1 or 10:1 compression pistons. i think hes auto if i remember right, youre gonna prolly need axles if you plan on drag racing

Zdeuce4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might wanna try either 9.5:1 or 10:1 compression pistons. i think hes auto if i remember right, youre gonna prolly need axles if you plan on drag racing

he'll be fine without them on the zzp kit... the beautiful thing about the turbo which u prolly already know is that the turbo lag will keep from throwing down too much low end tq like the sc cars do.

also if u wanna go with new pistons i suggest probably the same as was suggested but u dont need to go lower. 10.4:1 is not super high and if u put new pistons in it at stock compression u should be fine. u wont need to throw massive boost at it to make high power.

elecblue06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zzp has used this kit (stg 3)on a stock bottom end.. and stock axles on slicks. and made low 11's and 350 whp..

axels aren't needed neither are pistons like i said if anything.. ported and polished head and built valve train

and going stg 2 right off the bat then asking them to put a 5 psi wastegate spring in will be a better idea.. then you can click he boost up and not have to go out and upgrade.. it'll make things easier on you .. you have VERY little room to play on the stg 1 kit

Zdeuce4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh one more thing .. the auto didnt last too long with that much power tho.. 3xx plus that is...

others have made it about 2 yrs with around 250ish

BlackCobalt707

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he'll be fine without them on the zzp kit... the beautiful thing about the turbo which u prolly already know is that the turbo lag will keep from throwing down too much low end tq like the sc cars do.

also if u wanna go with new pistons i suggest probably the same as was suggested but u dont need to go lower. 10.4:1 is not super high and if u put new pistons in it at stock compression u should be fine. u wont need to throw massive boost at it to make high power.

yea, i know turbo lag helps out with low end but i was saying axles just as a safety measure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso